Thread: dv video stripped from camcorder editor to trim end of file?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

dv video stripped from camcorder editor to trim end of file?

I want to trim off the end. I tried openshot. I can trim off the end.
    Problem is it can only save it as an encoded export???

Is there an editor that can accept DV video and edit it, then just save the file without having to do a compression encoding? Which takes hours.

This is like loading a document into word, then make changes and when you goto save the file, it forces you to convert it to another format.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: dv video stripped from camcorder editor to trim end of file?

Try avidemux, a linear video editor.

Beans
    Hidden!

avidemux can not open a dv file that was captured with kino.

dv video is what you get captured with kino. I am able to open those files in all the other editors I have tried.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

What I was interested in was capturing video from a digital8 camera.
    Then edit the film, strip out blank video.
    then save the dv file which so far is impossible.

then convert the edited dv video file using handbrake to h264.
    Handbrake has a special feature to enable web video streaming. None of the others mention this.

So far I can not do these things.

Beans
    Hidden!

What’s special about DV non-linear editing?

DV is compressed just enough to be able to stream into and out of current-day PCs and Macs, and the availability of inexpensive 1394 I/O cards and fast SCSI-2 hard disks means that high quality video storage and manipulation on desktop computers is now possible for the first time without having to spend a king’s ransom on specialized RAID arrays and proprietary codecs.

DV can be stored and manipulated in native form, without transcoding to JPEG, MPEG, Wavelets, or the like. The same high quality seen on DV tape is maintained in the computer.
    Ha, maybe for windows only!
    http://www.videouniversity.com/artic...o-know/#linear

Does anyone have thoughts on this? I can also boot windows7, what program would work there for dv video editing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's very far from ideal, but until someone posts a GUI option, you can remove the end of a video with:

Code:
    avconv -i input.avi -c copy -t 00:15:32 output.avi
    That will copy everything in the file up until 15 minutes, 32 seconds. Obviously, figure out when you want the video to end. You can similarly use the -ss option to cut off the beginning of a video:

Code:
    avconv -i input.avi -c copy -ss 00:03:30 -t 00:05:20 output.avi
    This will begin copying at 3 minutes 30 seconds, for a length of 5 minutes 20 seconds.

The best NLE I used on Linux, back when I was trying out the options a few years ago, was Cinelerra. I don't know if it can do what you want, though, and it's not available in the repos - you can install it from this PPA, and find out for yourself if it'll suit your needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=general:faq
    ???? Avidemux won't open my DV or miniDV file ????

Avidemux can only open type-2 DV files at the moment. Two types of DV files exist: type 1 and type 2 (read the information at Microsoft.com about the differences between them). However, some cameras produce type-1 DV video. To convert them to type-2 DV, you can either use the Canopus DV File Converter or the Ulead DV Converter.
    That could be the problem with Avidemux, unfortunatelly.

Command line splitting with avconv or ffmpeg may be possible, but is far less convenient indeed.

The idea of non-linear video editors is that you throw the raw video at it, then compile your movie, and write it out in any format suitable for the specific task it is intended for. However, I imagine that it would be convenient, especially when you want to archive the raw video, to clean these files out a bit, quite fast and without loss in quality, i.e., without transcoding. That would typically be a job for avidemux, but unfortunatelly, it fails here, and I would not know of an alternative under linux.