Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to look for updates on Ubuntu

Beans

where to look for updates on Ubuntu

Hello there! I've decided to try Ubuntu - made a bootable USB and played with it for a while. Got to admit I love it! The default desktop is great (the only small criticism so far is "locked"/non-customizable app bar , but I can understand that).
    Getting back to Windows is a pain, feels wrong in a way . I can't abandon Win completely due to applications I have to work with(fe cad apps) and hardware (for example brother label printer) , but for daily workshop use for me and the rest of the team I'd like to set up Ubuntu on our computers.
    This will be a good option when Webb Apps feature will start working correctly. I've found out currently there are issues with it (I was able to make some of them work , through Synaptic reinstall and update, but some , like Gmail are still broken).

But where can I get the info that those are fixed? Browsing several sites would take too much time. Is there some sort of newsblog etc I could track? I know for most of you this may sound silly - but heck, for absolute begginner as me all the Ubuntu (and not only Ubuntu, but Linux in general) resources seems really spread out.

Also can anyone can you recommend a website for a begginner? For example I'd like to have a working copy on USB (not installer style, which forces me to reinstall, resetup everything after each boot) so I could play and tweak the things without affecting my hdd.

Beans

Re: where to look for updates on Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Pshemas View Post
    Also can anyone can you recommend a website for a begginner?
    You might find this helpful:
    https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There are two ways you can set up an installation on USB that remembers your changes, either a Live USB with persistance or a full installation.
    At the moment you have a Live USB install but without persistance, which is why all of your changes are lost when you reboot.

For pros & cons see C.S.Camerons post here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...55&postcount=2
    Last edited by Cheesemill; December 30th, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Gmail works just fine through a browser.

In my experience, Brother printers work very nicely in Linux. However, I assume there is an application which prints labels?

Many times when there is a bug in Ubuntu, it is posted in launchpad. If you can find the bug there, you can subscribe to any updates.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is dual-booting your computer with Ubuntu and W7 an option? It seems like running Ubuntu off a LiveUSB would be really slow...

Beans

Thx for the help guys, the links are really useful .

Did the install on my USB - but humbly admit I did it in a stupid way. I've used Wubi hoping it would create a bootable USB... Yeah, I know - RTFM . So now I have an install on USB (non-bootable) and a modified Windows Boot Manager, that asks with which system to run on startup.
    So I'll have to clean the boot options and reinstall Ubuntu. Which method of installing would you recommend? Through virtualmachine on Win7?

Also I've noticed that this install performance is noticably inferior (slower) than the bootable Live USB (the one with no persistance - no saving of modifivations and with the installer). Is it normal? Or is it caused by the way I've installed Ubuntu through Wubi? Is there a way to improve the speed, so it would match Live USB?

@superDave972: atm it is not an option. My idea is to have a system I could take with me and play a little bit with it, familiarize with it . If/ when I start to feel comfortable with it (should be easy - I already love it) dual-boot may be an option, but still I'm also thinking about some sort of install on a removable device. This way the folks that need to use computer in my workshop could simply have a pendrive / usb drive etc they would plug in and run the system with all the settings they need and the one they could take home etc.
    Also note that in the workshop I won't need to use any high performance apps. Most of the times it will include using web browser, libre writer, some sort of IM and hopefully label priter if I'll be able to make it run on Linux. So there's a chance USB wil do just fine .

@gordintoronto: I figured out I'll simply set up thunderbird for mail. Even though I'm not huge fan of mail programs and prefer simplified UI that gmail offers it should do the trick - well until I find solution that suits me better.

As for label printer - I don't mean regular printer, rather device like this one, used specifically to print labels. A real shame it has no linux drivers - at least I haven't found any. For Win it comes with all the drivers and a handy app to make labels, generate barcodes on them (if needed) and so on. Having it in Ubuntu would mean I would have a perfect solution .
    Last edited by Pshemas; December 31st, 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi. A couple of thoughts:

It is entirely possible that a dual boot install would run faster than what you have now. Normally, a proper install will run faster than the live environment from a USB. I have to admit, I didn't quite understand how you have installed now.

The situation you describe in your workshop, where every one has their own OS on a stick, is a classic case for USB with persisintence. Remember though, that this will mean a re-boot every time someone else wants to use the machine. It may be more convenient to have a proper install with a user account for everyone.

I have no idea about label printing in Linux, but a quick search turned up these, and I am quite sure it is possible. You are not the only one who wants it...
    http://archive09.linux.com/feature/119566
    http://blogs.scansource.com/label-pr...-for-linux-os/
    Linked from near the end of that
    http://www.kbarcode.net/

http://www.godexintl.com/news_content.aspx?id=60

As I said, no experience with any of that, but it should give you a place to start looking.
    Michael

Beans

@audiomick: , ok so to straighten things up:

My first try with Ubuntu was by downloading iso with ubuntu installer (from here) and burning this ISO on usb drive. Then upon launch I've chosen "try without installing" option. Worked suprisingly nicely and quite fast, but the changes and all the stuff I did were not being saved.

2nd try - downloaded Windows installer for Ubuntu Desktop (wubi.exe), launched it in Win7 and when asked where to install Ubuntu I've chosen USB drive. Hoped that it will result in bootable USB (again - yeah, I know...). But I got non-bootable USB and a modified windows boot manager (upon system start I can choose whether to boot windows or ubuntu). So I can't take the USB and run it on other computer (non-bootable USB). But the modifications are being saved. Surprisingly though the system seems slower than it was during the 1st try. Thus I'm wondering whether it is because dumb install I did, or settings. Any ideas?

And as mentioned proper hdd install is not an option I currently consider. I know I can create couple of accounts. But the apealing option is that I could take the USB drive and have MY system, with my setup on any machine anywhere , not being bound to a specific PC.
    I'm not sure it is good idea and whether it will work - I'd like to give it a try though. From the first tries it seems it will work great .
    But heck, that might be mostly due to the fact I'd rather not game , run videos etc on such usb-installed system.

Maybe later I'll do hdd install on my home computer as I totally fell in love with Unity UI . EVen now instead of booting Windows I run Ubuntu for web surfing and so on. Got to admit that if there were apps I need to use on Linux I'd switch completely. Sadly this is not going to happen - at least in foreseeable future (Zbrush, Rhino etc won't have Linux versions and there are no viable alternatives - with 3d Coat being an exception). Still for regular "office" work it does the trick so well!

Did some further search on Brother QL-500. It looks there are linux drivers, but they seem tricky to use for unexperienced user. I found several reports where people were not able to use them without tweaks. Also the app for making the labels is missing - but there are some templates for Libre Office. So I'd propably try installing those when I'll get some experience .
    Thx for the link to kbarcode - heck, it looks very similar to the brother label app. Defnitely if I could make it work along with the drivers I'd have exactly what I need .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Not real familiar with wubi, but flash drive is slow writing & USB ports are slower than SATA ports.

I have a full install in my 16GB flash drive, but installed in 8GB and left 8GB for data. A bit slower loading, but Linux caches recent tasks in RAM, so if you have a fair amount of RAM it still will be usable. You do want to make some settings to reduce writes similar to a SSD, although flash drives are slower.

With grub2 persistent C.S.Cameron 12.04
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2042965

Full install of 12.04 to 64GB USB device C.S.Cameron post #3
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2092077
    Full install of 12.04 to USB device C.S.Cameron post #5
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2060493

Actually an install to an external device is the same as to any second device, internal or external. But you have to use manual install or Something Else so yo get the option on where to install the grub2 boot loader. Otherwise any auto installs will default to sda and you will not have a separately bootable flash drive.

Install to external drive. Also any second drive.
    Installer version has not changed much so still a good guide except I do not recommend the separate /boot for most systems. Older systems may need it. And some with very large / (root) partitions. BIOS/MBR not for UEFI
    http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/07/23...2-hard-drives/
    Installing Ubuntu in Hard Disk Two (or more) internal or external Lots of detail - now alternative (text based) installer
    Different versions have slight difference in install screens but process is the same.
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p24.html
    p24/041.png Shows combo box to select where to install the grub2 boot loader.
    Where Do You Want To Install GNU/GRUB boot loader?
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p24/041.png

With SSD or Flash drives, Use ext4 without journal:
    sudo tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda1
    sudo tune2fs -o discard /dev/sda1
    No swap or set swapiness or install 'Dynamic Swap Space Manager' from the Ubuntu Software Center
    After installing, change the fstab so that everything gets mounted with noatime.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    ... - now alternative (text based) installer....
    I believe I read that the alternate installer is not being offered anymore, which I consider to be a pity.
    Edit: just had a look in relation to another thread. It seems there is one available for 12.04, but not for 12.10

@pshemas: As Fred has already indicated, it is pretty certain that the way you have installed will not run very fast.

You seem to be getting a good grip on things. Look at those links that Fred posted. It seems an install on a USB device will work for you. Just remember that you have to get Grub on the USB device so it will be found when you tell the computer to boot from there, and leave the windows mbr intact on the machine so it can be found when the machine is not booting from the USB device.
    Last edited by audiomick; January 1st, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
    Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast