Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wanting top/bottom bars as in ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

wanting top/bottom bars as in ubuntu 10.04

My Xubuntu machine is an Acer 1410 netbook, 64bit, 4g ram. Screen is 11.6 inches. Xubuntu 12.04 places unneeded icons on my desktop.
    Eg, http://xubuntu.org/wp-content/upload...precise_01.png

1) Removing the horizontal icons was easy. I'd like also to remove the vertcal icons on left side.

2) Furthermore, having oft-used applications and open programs on top-bar crowds both categories and makes them too small in top bar. Is there a way to set Xubuntu 12.04 so that the desktop looks and functions like the desktop in Ubuntu 10.04, with preferred applications in top-bar, with open programs in bottom bar?
    Eg, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ub...screenshot.png

Beans
    Distro

Re: wanting top/bottom bars as in ubuntu 10.04

Desktop Icons:
    To remove desktop icons, got to Settings > Desktop > Icons > Appearance and for Icon Type select none, and also untick all the boxes you can see.

Panels:
    You need to edit your top and bottom panels and what you have on them. Settings > Panels (or right click on a panel and select Panel Preferences. Suggest you start off by unlocking panels, change the bottom panel to a vertical panel and always show, then drag the top panel to the bottom, then change the newly created side panel to horizontal and drag up to the top. Individual items and widgets can then be moved between your top and bottom panels as you wish. You should eventually get to a 10.04 look.

n.b. the widget that shows open applications is called "Window Buttons"
    Last edited by Merrattic; December 27th, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?

Beans
    Distro

Merrattic,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I followed your instructions as far as I could (managed to remove unneeded icons from left side of desktop). However, I couldn't restore Xubuntu's horizontal panel of large icons along bottom of desktop, so going further has been impeded.

You wrote, "Suggest you start off by unlocking panels, change the bottom panel to a vertical panel and always show, then drag the top panel to the bottom, then change the newly created side panel to horizontal and drag up to the top."

How do I restore currently hidden bottom panel so that it can be changed to a vertical panel?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Right click a panel - panel preferences

or

settings - panel

Then you can change either - there's a dropdown to set which panel you are editing.

Unless you've deleted the bottom panel - in which case just create a new one and populate it with what you want.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Distro

Elfy,

Thank you. I found http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2037039

I'm now learning how to populate my newly created top panel & how to have bottom panel (formerly top panel) show only open programs.

Progress is occurring.

Beans
    Distro

The manipulations set forth in this thread have been helpful. Much used programs now have an icon in what has become top-horiz bar. Programs open appear in bottom-horiz bar. Overall, my newly arranged desktop works better for my eyes, given the 11.6 inch screen.

I have been unable to move wifi icon and user name from what is now bottom bar to what is now the top bar. Also, Xubuntu has a move-to-right arrow for items now in top-bar, but I haven't found a move-to-left arrow for items in top-bar. Perhaps there are solutions for these last items?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You can't (afaik) move things from one bar to another, remove from one and add to the other.

Moving - the arrow is not of consequence - you can move things wherever you want them. Click move - and then drop it where you want.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by superDave972 View Post
    If you wanted the desktop environment on 12.04 like it was on 10.10, why not just take the easy way and install the Gnome DE by searching for it in Ubuntu Software Center? Then, you just have to log out, choose Gnome Classic, log back in, and you're all set.
    Exactly what does Gnome desktop have to do with Xubuntu or this question?

Offtopic posts removed.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just read the question wrong. That's all. Thought he had Ubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Distro

Elfy,

Thank you again. For what was originally Xubuntu's bottom bar and is now my computer's top bar, all icons are left justified. Is there a way to undo left-justified so that I can distribute my-new-top-bar icons without left-justification and without right-justification?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast