Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I verify these files are already installed on Ubuntu 12.10?

Beans

How do I verify these files are already installed on Ubuntu 12.10?

I am new to Linux and Ubuntu; hence detailed instructions on what specific commands to issue are welcome.

I would like to know if the following files/packages/programs are already installed on my Ubuntu 12.10, kernel 3.5.0.21, 64 bit, English:

(1) XOrg 6.9, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.5 or 7.6

(2) Linux kernel 2.6 or above

(3) glibc version 2.2 or 2.3

(4) XFree86-Mesa-libGL

(5) libstdc++

(6) libgcc

(7) XFree86-libs

(8) fontconfig

(9) freetype

(10) zlib

(11) gcc

According to AMD, the above files/packages/programs must be installed prior to installing the Catalyst driver for my computer. My computer has a discreet AMD Radeon HD 7730M graphics card.

If any one of the above is NOT installed, please show me from which site(s) and how to download them.

Thanks in advance

PS: I googled for how to list installed packages on my Ubuntu OS, I found and tried the following command:

Code:
    dpkg --get-selections > 1.txt
    After clicking the 1.txt in gedit, I saw a list of files. But it doesn't list whether I have XOrg and its version. I certainly can't find XFree86-Mesa-libGL and XFree86-libs in that list.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do I verify these files are already installed on Ubuntu 12.10?

STOP.

Before you start downloading drivers from the AMD website and install them manually, you should know that Ubuntu has a way of installing AMD graphics drivers in a safer, better-supported way.

Go to Ubuntu Software Center. Go to the Edit menu and come down to Software Sources. The last tab allows you to easily download and install a set of official AMD graphics drivers, that will keep in sync with your kernel version (the download from the AMD website will NOT).

To answer your actual question, you already have the required software for running the AMD graphics driver. If you were to download and install the driver from the AMD website rather than use the good method I advised you of, then you would need the build-essential package from Ubuntu Software Center. But don't do the manual way - use the method I advised you. It will download and install everything you need anyway.

I hope you've also abandoned the plan to downgrade your kernel so you can run anti-virus. Anti-virus is not necessary for Linux as there are currently no Linux viruses.

It seems like you're having a bit of trouble unlearning your Windows habits; just remember, Linux is incredibly different to Windows, not much of your current knowledge will transfer over. Just pretend to be a computer newbie when using Linux and you'll do fine.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; December 30th, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    ...It seems like you're having a bit of trouble unlearning your Windows habits; just remember, Linux is incredibly different to Windows, not much of your current knowledge will transfer over. Just pretend to be a computer newbie when using Linux and you'll do fine.
    +1 - Excellent advice! I also suggest the OP reads the following link:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

all of which is going to be completely moot if you do as you want in your other thread - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2098811

Beans
    Distro

i think you can use synaptic package manager and search given package name to see if it is installed before or no.
    Forza Linux زنده باد لینوکس
    MrAli
    http://alihzadeh.blog.ir/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Chogan View Post
    i think you can use synaptic package manager and search given package name to see if it is installed before or no.
    Yes, you can. The software centre is not quite as intuitive for me, but it will show you whether a package is installed too.

While we are at the software center, I would add my voice to those here and in the other thread regarding antivirus.

Whilst it is not true that there are no viruses for linux, the number is indeed very small (I think it is something under 50 total known viruses) and your chances of being infected are indeed very close to 100% that you wont.

If you are worried about picking up something and passing it along to a Windows machine, well, that is another thing. Having said that, I don't have any anti-virus on any of my installs, and I don't believe I have ever got a virus on my Vista which dual boots with ubuntu.

Anyway, there is antivirus stuff in the software centre. Search for "anti virus" in there. I would suggest using that and being careful where you click in the internet.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    Whilst it is not true that there are no viruses for linux, the number is indeed very small (I think it is something under 50 total known viruses) and your chances of being infected are indeed very close to 100% that you wont.
    Not meaning to derail the thread, but we talk about Smallpox being "eradicated" in the developed world, even though it still exists in laboratories. It poses no threat (even if it got out, most people are vaccinated against it or have had chicken pox), so we say it is eradicated.

The same for Linux viruses. Most, if not all, will no longer work on today's Linux distros. None are in the wild, only at anti-virus labs.

So what I said was true.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice.

I DO know that Linux machines don't need antivirus software.

Nevertheless I wish to install it just so I can learn the basics of issuing Linux commands (to be more exact Debian commands).

I can't learn computing or Linux by picking up and reading a manual. I have to have a project to work on and as I work on it, I pick up skills and concepts along the way.

I have installed Symantec Antivirus for Linux successfully on Ubuntu 12.10, kernel 3.5.0.21 and I know how to sudo some commands, change directories/folders, build some kernel modules using "build-essential" command within a time period of 3 days. I even helped Symantec update its technical support documentation about its software compatibility with the latest version of Ubuntu OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by regency View Post
    Nevertheless I wish to install it just so I can learn the basics of issuing Linux commands (to be more exact Debian commands).
    Fair enough.

Given that, you might consider a "throw away" install to do things like that in, so you can play around and not worry about it getting broken. A dual boot or multi boot of various Linux installs is not hard to do, and you learn a bit more whilst setting it up.
    Michael

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    Fair enough.

Given that, you might consider a "throw away" install to do things like that in, so you can play around and not worry about it getting broken. A dual boot or multi boot of various Linux installs is not hard to do, and you learn a bit more whilst setting it up.
    Thanks pal for your advice.

I have a number of spare hard disk drives at my disposal. I installed Ubuntu on one of them. If I mess things up on it, I will just have to reformat and reinstall it. Well, to be honest, I have reinstalled it at least 5 times, so I am quite familiar with the instalation routines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast