Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: backtrack5-usb wificard

Beans

Re: backtrack5-usb wificard

Quote Originally Posted by Th3J0k3r View Post
    first off, in order to use backtrack the way it's meant to be used i need to get the wireless working as to being able to surf the web, then move on to configuring say gerix to use it. second i took injection and packet capture into thought when i bought the usb adapter, actually did weeks of research and couldn't find an out of the box solution for backtrack that was in a local store, as i do not have a credit card, nor would i feel comfy using one online anyway. and lastly the netgearr n150 is a wna 1100 not 100, tho i assume you meant 1000. but thank you for trying to clear some of that up. also i am consulting on the problem on a backtrack specific forum as well, tho people there seem not to be particularly helpful unlike the people here who are at least trying.

edit: i have, since writing the above, opened the link you posted and started to follow along.guess i shouldnt assume something from a missing character.
    I wasnt saying it was a 100/1100 I was assuming as you hadnt told us.

And just so you know, once you get it working if you do, the tools such nas Gerix and others wont be supported here.

Good luck with the card.

and following post number 4 wasnt your best solution as it is not UBUNTU but backtrack

The post i linked to does work for aircrack however so should be good.

I also take it you ae running an old version of BT as you are on an old kernel which was BT 5 the first, it is now in RC3 using kernel 3.2x
    Peace
    Last edited by haqking; December 30th, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    I also take it you ae running an old version of BT as you are on an old kernel which was BT 5 the first, it is now in RC3 using kernel 3.2x
    Peace
    This ^^. Update your kernel. The kernel includes the driver unless it needs firmware (even in this case the kernel will load that firmware). Don't think about it in terms of distro X vs distro Y. Think about it in terms of driver / kernel / firmware. Try just updating your system maybe. Also, run "ifconfig -a" to see if the device is there but isn't / cannot be brought up instead of just "ifconfig".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    I wasnt saying it was a 100/1100 I was assuming as you hadnt told us.

And just so you know, once you get it working if you do, the tools such nas Gerix and others wont be supported here.

Good luck with the card.

and following post number 4 wasnt your best solution as it is not UBUNTU but backtrack

The post i linked to does work for aircrack however so should be good.

Peace
    was just a clarification on my part, as your op did say 100 i was assuming you meant 100 or 1000. i understand the specific programs inside backtrack are another problem to be solved later, hence my second edit (before reading this post but after reading the link on your last) about also being on a backtrack specific forum. and yes i am running backtracks first release of 5

This ^^. Update your kernel. The kernel includes the driver unless it needs firmware (even in this case the kernel will load that firmware). Don't think about it in terms of distro X vs distro Y. Think about it in terms of driver / kernel / firmware. Try just updating your system maybe. Also, run "ifconfig -a" to see if the device is there but isn't / cannot be brought up instead of just "ifconfig".
    ifconfig -a did not return anything regarding my device or wlan0. i am currently dling the latest backtrack...
    Last edited by Th3J0k3r; December 30th, 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Th3J0k3r View Post
    i am currently dling the latest backtrack...
    You should have better luck as it is kernel 3.2.6

The one you were using was 2.6.38

Though i cannot comment on your card in my experience. I tend to use ALFA devices all the time in BT these days, it has been a while since i have used anything else.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12