Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity still drives me crazy

Beans

Unity still drives me crazy

I tried Unity when it was first released (11.04?) and hated it. I had hoped it would be easier and intuitive with 12.04, but I was wrong.
    I have to waste loads of time looking for ways to do even simple stuff - like tile the windows - or finding the terminal the first time.
    Yeah, I might get used to it someday, but the time it takes is making me crazy!
    When I upgraded to 12.04 the other day, everything (that I know of now), transferred into the new version without a problem.
    However, Firefox glitched and ate my passwords and logons. I've spent more than 8 hours trying to get that fixed with no success.
    Yes, I was using the Firefox support pages - not Ubuntu.
    My latest irritation is that when I open new pages in Firefox they do not open to full-page width and have to be resized. I've only been at this little task for 1.5 hours.
    I intentionally waited almost a year to upgrade just to avoid these kinds of problems - so much for that.

So, how do I go back to 11.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unity still drives me crazy

Reinstall 11.10 from scratch.(fresh)

From what I understand, downgrades don't work.(method now broken)

If you have anything important, back it up.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

You may want to install the gnome-session-fallback on 12.04. 11.04 has reached end of life and 11.10 will in April.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I do not understand why unity seems to bug so many people. I used ubuntu on and off since 10.04. Sure unity was different, but with time I have no issues with it.

Beans

11.10 will fall out of support eventually. Instead of just downgrading, perhaps you should try another desktop instead (I have settled on Xubuntu for now)? You can install another desktop onto your existing 12.04 fairly easily with a command similar to this:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    and you can try xubuntu, lubuntu, kubuntu. You get an option as you log in to choose which desktop to boot into.

As for your firefox problem, I don't know. My firefox starts up maximised if that's how it was when I last closed it down, but then I don't use unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by TOMBSTONEV2 View Post
    I do not understand why unity seems to bug so many people. I used ubuntu on and off since 10.04. Sure unity was different, but with time I have no issues with it.
    I also don't have issues (as in 'bugs') but it bugs me that I have to type a name of an application in the dash to be able to start it (if it's not in the menu bar); they could just as well have a terminal open by default where you can type the name of the application. More useful as well because you might have more feedback when the application crashes.

Just my thoughts; thank God that I mostly use a web browser and an email client and that for the rest of my needs I live in terminals
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    it bugs me that I have to type a name of an application in the dash to be able to start it (if it's not in the menu bar)
    You don't have to type in the name of the Application that you want to run you can browse through all of the installed Applications...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by The Spectre View Post
    You don't have to type in the name of the Application that you want to run you can browse through all of the installed Applications...
    Not in my setup; I have 'recent apps', 'recent files' and 'downloads' in my dash. I can't remember that I changed anything regarding applications so yes, I have to type
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    Not in my setup; I have 'recent apps', 'recent files' and 'downloads' in my dash. I can't remember that I changed anything regarding applications so yes, I have to type
    I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on an old Dell computer that I have and I just checked it out and it also has the ability to browse through all of the installed Applications.

Did you look at the attached Screenshot in my previous post?

Beans

If your having trouble out of Unity. Instead of reinstalling your entire system.
    Why not just grab a new windows manager?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast