Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Unity still drives me crazy

Beans

Re: Unity still drives me crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph L View Post
    I too can't stand unity. I just installed Ubuntu 12.04.1, but dropped back to my old desktop that looks like Windows XP, which I still use and I like consistency between the 2 os interfaces. Most of what I did are in threads under my name, so look through them. You can search the forum by user name. If you have questions send me a private message and I will post replies. My complaint with Ubuntu is that I have to make so many changes to get it the way I want it that it takes an inordinate amount of research and time to get it done. I've been looking at Kubuntu, but I can't get the latest version to boot from a live cd on my Compaq Preserio 2100. It ends up with a blank screen. So I don't know if that will go anywhere.

Anyway, good luck.
    I guess I wasn't as clear as I could be in my posts - I was using 11.04 and 11.10 under the fallback mode. That's what made it easy for me. I started with Ubuntu 9 something, and upgraded to 12.04 from 11.10 in the Gnome fallback. This worked for me.

My last question on this thread is: will Ubuntu continue to provide the Gnome fallback desktop, or is that going away? If it's available in the future I can live with most of the lingering problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gnusboy View Post
    My last question on this thread is: will Ubuntu continue to provide the Gnome fallback desktop, or is that going away?
    The forum demands a reply if I quote the question. I saw a report that the head fallback guy is gone, but that the head Gnome gets it. My crystal ball is cloudy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    The forum demands a reply if I quote the question. I saw a report that the head fallback guy is gone, but that the head Gnome gets it. My crystal ball is cloudy.
    At least 12.04 is supported until 1217, plenty of time to sort things out.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Today's WaPost has on essay (1) about hardware(s) and the advantages of having a desktop PC while also having a tablet and/or other hand held devices. The writer suggests that a one-OS-fits-all devices approach may lead to more OS complexity, not less.

I'm one of the small subgroup with no hand-deld devices, no need for one, thus my retreat from Unity into Xubuntu.

1. It’s a Laptop! It’s a Tablet!
    Do-it-all, transformer gizmos are the PC’s best hope against the rise of tablets. Uh-oh.
    By Farhad Manjoo|Posted Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2013
    here

Beans

I'm very curious about Elementary OS Luna (they've recently released beta 1). It looks very interesting, the Gala window manager is fast, responsive, and very stable (even in the beta).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLr_rOg8y1o

They've obviously taken a lot of their design cues from OSX.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you are too old for change you are old enough to remember "Life is change, how it differes from the rocks"-Jefferson Airplane.

I too, disliked Unity. Some months later I am comfortable with it. Had the experience of using an older Ubuntu version on another machine and found it clunky. Go figgure.
    There is no sense in having a plan if you're not going to pretend to follow it.

Beans

I installed 12.04 with Unity 6 months ago in my Laptop, I'm a developer with heavy use of Workspaces lots of applications.

After it I'm desesperately hoping Ubuntu has a standard way of installing
    Gnome 2 way of working knowing that Gnome 3 fallback will be discontinued.

I can't imagine saying just one good thing about my experience
    working with UNITY.

Are there any polls where users can vote for this kind of things ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Are there any polls where users can vote for this kind of things ?
    Ain't gonna matter, Connical and Ubuntu is going to develop according to Mr. Shuttleworth's vision.
    Ain't no democratic principles being applied here.
    You want your voice heard, get involved in the development process.

We are given an operating system as is, learn to tweak it to your needs, or move on to something else.
    Many options are available for many tastes.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234