Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unity still drives me crazy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unity still drives me crazy

Quote Originally Posted by The Spectre View Post
    Did you look at the attached Screenshot in my previous post?
    Yes I did But I missed what you 'circled' at the bottom OK, learned something again; thanks for that.

Still not convinced that scrolling through a list is the way to go (compared to logically ordered by type as with menus in a none-unity setup)
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I also find unity aggravating. Yes, there are workarounds - I don't use them. Instead I install Mint which is based on Ubuntu! I keep a fresh version of Ubuntu around because this is still the much better forum!

Like Windows 8, unity is designed for the benefit of tablet and phone users - a reasonable solution considering that that is where the market seems to be headed. I do find windows 8 more amenable than Ubuntu with unity to the power desktop user, especially if you employ multiple monitors.

In general I do think that OS's are over influenced by the overwhelming mass of simple-minded user who don't want to have to know anything beyond activating a desktop to get to a tweet account. I personally choose not to use a Mac because I feel hamstrung whenever I've tried to. Anyway, I am getting of topic. There are many great alternatives out there. Including a Mac if you don't want or need to know anything beyond just using your applications as they are presented. And in most cases there is great merit in that!
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For me, Unity is by far the most efficient desktop I ever used, staying out of the way while I work, allowing to summon an application with three to four keystrokes, and allowing a better overview of running tasks than other desktop environments.
    Fortunatelly, there is plenty of choice, within Ubuntu and within the entire linux ecossystem. Hence there are few reasons for whining.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    I also don't have issues (as in 'bugs') but it bugs me that I have to type a name of an application in the dash to be able to start it (if it's not in the menu bar); they could just as well have a terminal open by default where you can type the name of the application. More useful as well because you might have more feedback when the application crashes.

Just my thoughts; thank God that I mostly use a web browser and an email client and that for the rest of my needs I live in terminals
    Long live the terminal! Before I eat I give thanks for the terminal, and for Linux in general. We have to keep the computer gods happy!

Beans

Well I thank you all for your suggestions. Trouble is - I don't want to change desktops and have to learn whatever is new.
    I WANT Ubuntu to work like it has for the last 3 years!
    Why should I be FORCED into using some goofy platform that I neither have the time, nor inclination to learn so I can use it.
    I just spent 35 hours - yes, hours - trying to get all the problems I was having with 12.04 figured out and making the changes. Then it was the version of Firefox 17 that d'l with 12.04. That was screwy.
    It took an incredible amount of my life trying to figure out the problems attempt the listed fixes and then discover they did not work in my case. I finally had to give up and will live with what I could recover. It put me way behind on my work.
    And yes, much of it was me trying to comprehend the instructions. I'm too freaking old to do this stuff.
    Ubuntu is becoming like Windows - you have to wait a year or two before installing the new version to avoid all the bugs.
    So now that 11.10 will not be supported after April, I'm not sure what I can do.
    Ubuntu is not supposed to be idiot proof - but can't it be a little more user friendly?

Beans

I feel your pain.

I loyally used ubuntu (full time) from 6.06 to 10.04. I sensed that the development was moving in a weird direction with the release of 10.10 and decided to wait it out in LTS. I ran 10.04 LTS until last month when I preemptively switched to debian, knowing that support for 10.04 runs out soon.

I do miss gnome 2, but I've found that XFCE is configurable enough to almost make up for the occaisional oddity. That combined with the flexibility and freedom of debian leaves me feeling much more "in control" of my own computer nowadays.

As a fairly advanced user, I should have switched to debian alot sooner. I continue to recommend Xubuntu to users who just need stuff to work.

Edit: There's always MATE. It's a fork of gnome 2. Personally I have doubts about its future, but It's an option nonetheless.
    Last edited by Penguinnerd; January 6th, 2013 at 03:33 AM.

Beans

"Trouble is - I don't want to change desktops and have to learn whatever is new.I WANT Ubuntu to work like it has for the last 3 years!"
    Trouble is Mark Shuttleworth doesn't care how Ubuntu users use to do things. He has a vision which unfortunately doesn't include many of us that spent years with ubuntu.

And you don't have to re-learn a new desktop. Check out Mate and install mate. It's the good ole' gnome desktop from the past. Or Cinnamon which I'm using with a lot of the old use & feel with fresher newer feel and growing in a new direction based on users feedback. And not some captain of the ship dictating desktop design & integration.

I switched to Mint 14 Cinnamon and has that Ole' Comfy Shoes feel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Gnusboy View Post
    Well I thank you all for your suggestions. Trouble is - I don't want to change desktops and have to learn whatever is new.
    I WANT Ubuntu to work like it has for the last 3 years!
    Why should I be FORCED into using some goofy platform that I neither have the time, nor inclination to learn so I can use it.
    I just spent 35 hours - yes, hours - trying to get all the problems I was having with 12.04 figured out and making the changes. Then it was the version of Firefox 17 that d'l with 12.04. That was screwy.
    It took an incredible amount of my life trying to figure out the problems attempt the listed fixes and then discover they did not work in my case. I finally had to give up and will live with what I could recover. It put me way behind on my work.
    And yes, much of it was me trying to comprehend the instructions. I'm too freaking old to do this stuff.
    Ubuntu is becoming like Windows - you have to wait a year or two before installing the new version to avoid all the bugs.
    So now that 11.10 will not be supported after April, I'm not sure what I can do.
    Ubuntu is not supposed to be idiot proof - but can't it be a little more user friendly?
    So you don't want to use Unity, but you still want to learn it. For what? Linux is about choice, and you can choose to install gnome-classic/MATE/Cinnamon and be happy with it, but you chose to struggle with Unity, only to come back here and complain instead of seeking help.

Do you want people to help with your Unity/Firefox/whatever problems (that only you seem to have), or do you want to keep whining? If the latter, then I shall request that this topic be moved or locked, because this is a support forum, not a complaining forum.
    Last edited by zombifier25; January 6th, 2013 at 05:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    Trouble is Mark Shuttleworth doesn't care how Ubuntu users use to do things. He has a vision which unfortunately doesn't include many of us that spent years with ubuntu.

And you don't have to re-learn a new desktop. Check out Mate and install mate. It's the good ole' gnome desktop from the past. Or Cinnamon which I'm using with a lot of the old use & feel with fresher newer feel and growing in a new direction based on users feedback. And not some captain of the ship dictating desktop design & integration.

I switched to Mint 14 Cinnamon and has that Ole' Comfy Shoes feel.
    +1 I use many OS and agree with this post.
    UsingTheTerminal and PopularPages

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It is very easy to open the terminal. Just use this keyboard shortcut: ctrl + alt + t.

As for unity, I can give you my personal opinion. Unity is the reason that I chose Ubuntu. I was leaving windows because of windows 8. I had to read a lot in the beginning, since I was completely new to linux. But I find Ubuntu much easier to use than windows.

And you are never to old to learn something new. All people learn something every day. The myth that older people can't learn, is just that. Older people learn by using past experience. Younger people learn in a different way (can't remember what they called it at the moment).

Just my opinion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast