Thread: WOW won't load

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

WOW won't load

Ok, I installed WOW last week with wine and it worked fine... mostly. The WOW launcher button never worked so I had to go into the file structure and actually double click the wow.exe file to play. Now that isn't working. I double click it and my hard drive works for a few seconds and then goes quiet but the game never loads. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: WOW won't load

Launch Wow.exe through the terminal and post the output.
    Ex: (Change "<USER>" with your username)
    Code:
    env WINEPREFIX="/home/<USER>/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe" -opengl
    The above assumes that WoW is installed in the 'normal' place

Also, we'll need:
    • Hardware Specs (Mostly video card/chipset)
    • Do you have proprietary drivers installed if a ATi/AMD or Nvidia? If Intel, good luck.
    • What wine version?
    • What Ubuntu version?

Alot of this post is FROM THE STICKY, and is totally unnecessary.

Read it.

Then search the forum.

I'll bet it's already asked and answered.
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Mazate - Was this resolved? It could be related to my problem. In my case the launcher works but the game will not load. I've been searching the forums for two days without finding a resolution. I posted in the "how to" sticky but no one has answered.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No I never did get it to work right. I've since gone back to Windows actually. I prefer Ubuntu in every other sense but I can't play my games and that was a deal-breaker for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I wish that were an option for me, but I never had Windows in the first place. I can play the game on my roommate's Windows machine but it's blurry and slow and clunky. Plus, she either lost or never had her Windows installation discs so I can't use those, or reinstall hers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.