Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Configuring Samba

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Configuring Samba

The comment can be whatever you want, it's the path declaration that you need to change.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    The comment can be whatever you want, it's the path declaration that you need to change.
    OK the path has changed to my mounted EXT4 partitions (disk , disk1 named media) See attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by 90Ninety View Post
    OK the path has changed to my mounted EXT4 partitions (disk , disk1 named media) See attachment
    What samba shows is that you have a folder "Media" on disk1, is that so? If not edit that line and ommit "/Media". That should give you access to the whole of disk1. With the newer releases it is not needed to change anything in smb.conf anymore.

Better stick to this Samba utility it is much easier to use then the command line and for home use it is perfect. I use it too and it is the only thing I use.
    Last edited by BertN45; December 30th, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Beans

I get another error when using the Samba GUI :

Some lines coudn't be understood while reading the configuration file/etc/samba/smb.conf. These
    52: include = /etc/samba/dhcp.confmay be unkown configuration directives for samba plugins but could also be configuration errors
    Details :
    52: Include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf

I have tried to attach my samba config text for scrutiny . But you guessed got another error

Thanks

Beans

Right I've followed the official guide .See attached picture

Basically I've managed to share the partitions using the Samba config . However how can I get my ******* pcs to talk with these partitions ?

I can enter my UBUntu's PC IP address in the browser - see attached 2nd image

Any suggestions ?
    Last edited by 90Ninety; December 30th, 2012 at 02:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You browse to file shares using Windows Explorer (the file manager), not Internet Explorer (the web browser).
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 90Ninety View Post
    This is my first experience with Linux . I have installed Ubuntu 12.10 x64 Desktop , for the purpose of file sharing at home for starters .

I have followed this guide
    http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/06...r_own_server/4
    I had got to page 4 ( File sharing)
    Four pages? Good grief.

Try this guide instead, short, and all gui: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1685718

Beans

Might I make a suggestion? You are following so many HowTo's that your smb.conf may be a mess. What would help is if you tell us what the current state of your system is and you can do that by posting the output of the following commands:
    Code:
    testparm -s
    Code:
    net usershare info --long
    Don't be alarmed if you get no response from the second command.

Some of the things you are quoting are incorrect like this one from the official Ubuntu documentation on Samba:
    Not all the available options are included in the default configuration file. See the smb.conf man page or the Samba HOWTO Collection for more details. First, edit the following key/value pairs in the [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf:

1. workgroup = EXAMPLE ... security = user
      The security parameter is farther down in the [global] section, and is commented by default. Also, change EXAMPLE to better match your environment.
    Smb.conf is a file used to add to or override the default settings of Samba. It is not the default samba configuration itself. "security = user" is the default setting of samba which is why it's commented out with a "#" in smb.conf ( and btw it's set to user not your user name ). I didn't read through the whole thing to see what else is inaccurate so I think the best bet is just for you to tell us how things are currently set up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Horbo View Post
    Four pages? Good grief.

Try this guide instead, short, and all gui: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1685718
    OK I followed the guide , maybe not correctly . Basically I copied the gateway address from my Windows PC , into the gateway address on server , is this correct ?

Please see attached file , it pictures both my Windows and linux network settings for scrutiny

Beans

Ok with the above gudie ( thanks Horbo http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1685718)

Ican now access folders and drives on my sever from the Windows LAN PC's . I done this by entering the ip address of the Server into the windows PC -phew.

Now another hurdle , since I have changed the network settings on the server, I can no longer load webpages , please see attachment in last post to see what Im doing wrong . Any reason why I cannot now use the web on the server?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast