Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Addicted to unity 2d!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Addicted to unity 2d!

@Chdslv OluszDes You may find this will help you understand the difference between Unity 3D and Unity 2D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by OluszDes View Post
    Now tell me, why this Unity 3D, which is based on Compiz, crashes when you enable few of Compiz's own effects? Why you have to restart all the time, if you enable/disable some of those effects? Why it doesn't crash, when you are using the so-called Unity 2D?
    You said that it only crashes when you enable effects on it (and for me, it doesn't realy crash, it simply flickers a little bit), which AFAIK has been this way since Compiz's introduction (I use Compiz since 10.04, which some says as the MOST STABLE Compiz ever, and it flickers when enabling effects). Compiz is very stable for me when I do other stuffs.

When you start ccsm for the first time, do you see that little error advising you to use it with care? Why do you think they put it there in the first place? During Precise's beta test, someone even lobbied to have the abomination known as ccsm be removed from the repo completely, but others decided against it and put a warning in ccsm instead.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    You said that it only crashes when you enable effects on it (and for me, it doesn't realy crash, it simply flickers a little bit), which AFAIK has been this way since Compiz's introduction (I use Compiz since 10.04, which some says as the MOST STABLE Compiz ever, and it flickers when enabling effects). Compiz is very stable for me when I do other stuffs.
    Flickering is something else, but crashing means, you just cannot get the desktop working and you have to reboot it with the power off button. If you have used Knoppix, you'd know that Compiz doesn't "flicker" in it. If you check the OZ Unity Remixes of Ubuntu, Onyx64, BlackOpal64 and 32, you'd never find Compiz flickering.

When you start ccsm for the first time, do you see that little error advising you to use it with care? Why do you think they put it there in the first place? During Precise's beta test, someone even lobbied to have the abomination known as ccsm be removed from the repo completely, but others decided against it and put a warning in ccsm instead.
    When you say that's "a little error." Its a warning! Compiz is too powerful, it can eat into your distro. Compiz is that powerful, Ubuntu decided to use it as the base of their Unity 3D, even though the Compiz devs say it is buggy. How did you use Compiz in your 10.04, if CCSM is "an abomination?" How come it works in Debian in full blast? How come it works in Lxde Knoppix? Install a Debian distro with CCSM already installed in it and see, whether that "little error" appears there.Or even a Arch, Gentoo based distro.

Its time for New Year!

Najlepsze życzenia z okazji nadchodzącego Nowego Roku, spełnienia marzeń oraz wspaniałej sylwestrowej zabawy! Happy new Year and may your wishes com true! Have a nice time at the New Year Ball!
    Last edited by howefield; December 31st, 2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: removed the insult.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Unity is the launcher, the global menu and the dash, the rest is Compiz. It is Compiz that gives the 3D effect. We have been using Compiz for so long, we have sort of forgotten that it is the only thing that gives 3D effects/environment in Gnome, Xfce and Lxde.
    Compiz itself just provides a helpful API for 3D effects. Compiz plugins on the other hand...

As a plugin, Unity uses Compiz. It could use Metacity and Gnome-wm, as both happily work in 3D.
    It could (I'm referring to metacity here-not sure on gnome-wm), but as metacity uses no hardware acceleration to my knowledge, Unity would be horribly slow. See the LLVM fallback mode introduced with 12.10...

The thing is Unity 3D is made to work only with Compiz and cannot also live without Gnome 3, but the so-called Unity 2D can live without both of them and work with pure KDE, LXDE or XFCE. A problem?
    Not a problem, no, a good thing, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the 3D version is worse.

Disabling means disabling, nothing else. The file is there, but is not allowed to work.
    Ehh...you removed the "read" file permission? You can't "disable" a file AFAIK.

No, not at this stage. I can, but I won't at this stage.
    I'll look forward to it then.

My window manager is gnome-wm and Compiz doing all kinds of effects.
    You have two window managers running?

If Compiz crashes everything would crash. Unity is a plugin of Compiz, but when you install CCSM and try to make effects work, what happens? Unity goes haywire. You have to manually restart your computer, after enabling some of them. Nothing responds.
    Have you used Unity recently? Never had any of these problems since 11.10.

Now tell me, why this Unity 3D, which is based on Compiz, crashes when you enable few of Compiz's own effects? Why you have to restart all the time, if you enable/disable some of those effects? Why it doesn't crash, when you are using the so-called Unity 2D?
    It doesn't. But if it did, that would be because Compiz is a less stable platform than Qt, by its own admission.

How true! Are you addicted to Unity 3D?
    Nope! I'm on DWM currently. Now THAT is addictive window management.http://dwm.suckless.org/

The OP meant that he liked it and found it better than the so-called Unity 3D, not exactly addicted. Personally, I don't want Unity 3D, but I like parts of Unity 2D and I use them. Its an application, which is useful to me for everyday work, so I use it. No addiction whatsoever.
    Great! Use whatever works for you. I don't particularly like/dislike any window manager or desktop, but I do like minimalism, and most desktops do this nicely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Compiz itself just provides a helpful API for 3D effects. Compiz plugins on the other hand...
    I haven't come across any other application that gives 3D effects in Lxde, Gnome, Xfce. I don't know, whether Kwin works with Lxde, Gnome, Xfce.

I agree with you on your comment "Compiz plugins on the other hand..."

It could (I'm referring to metacity here-not sure on gnome-wm), but as metacity uses no hardware acceleration to my knowledge, Unity would be horribly slow. See the LLVM fallback mode introduced with 12.10...
    I am referring to gnome-wm, not metacity. I read that metacity doesn't need hardware acceleration. http://readm3.org/os/ubuntu/extended-compiz-config Everything works very well with gnome-wm..

Not a problem, no, a good thing, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the 3D version is worse.
    You are correct. It doesn't necessarily mean that the 3D version is worse. It also doesn't mean that the so-called 2D version is bad and malfunction in 3D environment.

Ehh...you removed the "read" file permission? You can't "disable" a file AFAIK.
    No, I didn't do that. I disabled them. The file is there, but is disabled.

You have two window managers running?
    I don't know, whether two window managers could work simultaneously. Only gnome-wm is working.

Have you used Unity recently? Never had any of these problems since 11.10.
    Oh, yes. I have used it in Quantal and Raring too. Actually, I have a quantal and raring in 2 partitions with Unity on board.

It doesn't. But if it did, that would be because Compiz is a less stable platform than Qt, by its own admission.
    You are right!

Nope! I'm on DWM currently. Now THAT is addictive window management.http://dwm.suckless.org/
    I was looking at it just yesterday. You are experienced in it, could you make a write up about i1?

Great! Use whatever works for you. I don't particularly like/dislike any window manager or desktop, but I do like minimalism, and most desktops do this nicely.
    I too! Lately, I had become a tinkerer.

Nice speaking to you! Wish you are very happy new year!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Use 12.04 until 3d is sorted. I am not using or recommending 12.10.
    I've found 3D on 12.10 to be a huge improvement over 3D on 12.04 or earlier. The Dash was laughably slow on 12.04, to the point where I was using Synapse instead. So at the very least I'd say it's highly dependent on your hardware, and worth giving both 12.04 and 12.10 a go to see which performs best on any particular machine.

Not thrilled about 2D being dropped myself. Although I can see it's a pragmatic decision it does mean that 12.04 is now the end of the line for Ubuntu on my netbook, which is a shame as that machine probably has another 2-3 years of useful life in it at least.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by OluszDes View Post
    Flickering is something else, but crashing means, you just cannot get the desktop working and you have to reboot it with the power off button. If you have used Knoppix, you'd know that Compiz doesn't "flicker" in it. If you check the OZ Unity Remixes of Ubuntu, Onyx64, BlackOpal64 and 32, you'd never find Compiz flickering.

When you say that's "a little error." Its a warning! Compiz is too powerful, it can eat into your distro. Compiz is that powerful, Ubuntu decided to use it as the base of their Unity 3D, even though the Compiz devs say it is buggy. How did you use Compiz in your 10.04, if CCSM is "an abomination?" How come it works in Debian in full blast? How come it works in Lxde Knoppix? Install a Debian distro with CCSM already installed in it and see, whether that "little error" appears there.Or even a Arch, Gentoo based distro.

Its time for New Year!

Najlepsze życzenia z okazji nadchodzącego Nowego Roku, spełnienia marzeń oraz wspaniałej sylwestrowej zabawy! Happy new Year and may your wishes com true! Have a nice time at the New Year Ball!
    First off, I didn't mean "error", I meant "warning". Wonder how that slipped in there. And if you saw the end of my post, I said "warning".

And secondly, I was a little unclear in my post, so let me clear p a few stuffs.
    Yes, I'll give you that 0.9 is less stable than 0.8, which is commonly used in non-Ubuntu distros, and Compiz in 11.10 is buggy as heck, but have you gave it an honest try, especially the Precise version, which is meant to be rock solid? When 11.10 came out, Compiz was barely usable, so bad that I wiped it out and installed 10.04. But now, the Compiz devs are working rigorously to improve its performance, and now it's stable for everyday use, and that's all I need (heck, I can even play Portal 2 on it )

They put that warning in there because it's a common thing for users to accidentally screw up their systems by tweaking Compiz settings (I forgot to mention that along with placing a warning there, they also disabled the ability to disable the Unity plugin in the Unity session), not just because of the fact that Compiz tends to crash because of enabling/disabling some plugins. I personally have seen too many posts about screwing up the desktop using ccsm in the 11.10 times.

I hope that's clearer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I haven't come across any other application that gives 3D effects in Lxde, Gnome, Xfce. I don't know, whether Kwin works with Lxde, Gnome, Xfce.
    GNOME is an exception to all the below, as it's implemented as a monolithic WM/DE combination at the moment.

As for LXDE, Xfce, and KDE, any X11 compositor could work. Compiz, Kwin, Metacity to a degree, Mutter, and odd applications like skippy.

I am referring to gnome-wm, not metacity. I read that metacity doesn't need hardware acceleration. http://readm3.org/os/ubuntu/extended-compiz-config Everything works very well with gnome-wm..
    Ahah! http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...nome-wm.1.html - gnome-wm is a launcher for window managers. I assume Compiz is being used as your default.

I don't know, whether two window managers could work simultaneously. Only gnome-wm is working.
    I suppose technically they could, but it wouldn't work very well, even with my limited knowledge of X11. Most window managers check for already running WMs on startup, and either kill them or quit. Anyway, see my earlier comment about the gnome-wm program.

I was looking at it just yesterday. You are experienced in it, could you make a write up about i1?
    Sure thing. Off-topic, but it's in Recurring anyway, so I'll make an exception and keep it short and sweet.

To get started:

1. Install DWM (dwm? Dwm? DWM?).
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install dwm
    2. Read the manpage (and probably make notes). Otherwise, you will very likely be stuck when you launch it.
    Code:
    man dwm
    3. Logout, select the "dwm" session. Expect to get used to a new way of working. Not a lot of fun to start with, but very efficient once you get used to it. If you've ever used vi, the keybindings are sort-of similiar.

To configure:

1. Get dwm's source.
    Code:
    bzr branch lp:ubuntu/dwm
    2. Edit the source files. You'll need to have a basic grasp of C to do this, or just stick closely to the format already there. You probably want to stick to the header file.

No, this isn't user-friendly. I'm pretty sure it's not intended to be.

Because dwm is customized through editing its source code, it’s pointless to make binary packages of it. This keeps its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking stupid questions. There are some distributions that provide binary packages though.
    Note I don't agree with that, but it does keep source code small and efficient.

3. Rebuild. If you survived this far, you probably already know how to, but rebuild and reinstall the package:

Code:
    make
    Code:
    sudo make install
    Nice speaking to you! Wish you are very happy new year!
    Happy new year to you too!
    Last edited by MG&TL; January 1st, 2013 at 06:05 PM.

Beans

Thank you very much for the dwm right up. I'd get into that sometime this week.

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    GNOME is an exception to all the below, as it's implemented as a monolithic WM/DE combination at the moment.

As for LXDE, Xfce, and KDE, any X11 compositor could work. Compiz, Kwin, Metacity to a degree, Mutter, and odd applications like skippy.

Ahah! http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...nome-wm.1.html - gnome-wm is a launcher for window managers. I assume Compiz is being used as your default.
    I never tried Kwin in gnome, so I don't know, whether it'd work with gnome. Without Compiz, I don't think there would be any 3D effects in Gnome, Lxde or Xfce. I downloaded Knoppix 7.05 and that has all kind of Compiz effects. Knoppix uses Compiz 0.8.x. Klaus Knopper is quite a brainy person!

I suppose technically they could, but it wouldn't work very well, even with my limited knowledge of X11. Most window managers check for already running WMs on startup, and either kill them or quit. Anyway, see my earlier comment about the gnome-wm program.
    Uninstalled Compiz completely to check that. No 3D effects, but everything else worked, so gnome-wm was doing its work by itself.

Too sleepy after the Sylwester night. I suppose you too. Have a great 2013 year!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you very much for the dwm right up. I'd get into that sometime this week.
    Cool. I think you'll like it.

Without Compiz, I don't think there would be any 3D effects in Gnome, Lxde or Xfce. I downloaded Knoppix 7.05 and that has all kind of Compiz effects. Knoppix uses Compiz 0.8.x. Klaus Knopper is quite a brainy person!
    That he is, but try "kwin --replace" in Xfce or LXDE. Works pretty well if I recall.

Uninstalled Compiz completely to check that. No 3D effects, but everything else worked, so gnome-wm was doing its work by itself.
    gnome-wm would have then fallen back to (I presume) metacity.

Too sleepy after the Sylwester night. I suppose you too. Have a great 2013 year!
    Yup, you too!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast