Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Is now the time to invest in an antivirus software for Linux?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    51

    Is now the time to invest in an antivirus software for Linux?

    Please read the news article from Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonyk...nd-keystrokes/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Beans
    744

    Re: Is now the time to invest in an antivirus software for Linux?

    No. Even if you had that trojan the fix is deleting a file no big deal. Someday maybe but not today.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    Re: Is now the time to invest in an antivirus software for Linux?

    Yeah right, if you want to download and execute a file from a
    Russian IT-security solutions vendor, be my guest.

    "In Soviet Russia... install virus and antivirus at same time."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Is now the time to invest in an antivirus software for Linux?

    Moved to Recurring, because even though this may be a different exploit, these things come up so often that they seem to be a recurring conversation, with just the names changed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    6,542
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Is now the time to invest in an antivirus software for Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Yeah right, if you want to download and execute a file from a
    Russian IT-security solutions vendor, be my guest.

    "In Soviet Russia... install virus and antivirus at same time."
    This is a bit of a silly comment, considering one of the biggest and best antivirus products is Russian:

    Kaspersky

    Writing off the whole of the Russian computer industry because there are Russian cyber criminals is like writing off the whole of the US car industry because there are US car thieves.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    Re: Is now the time to invest in an antivirus software for Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    This is a bit of a silly comment, considering one of the biggest and best antivirus products is Russian:

    Kaspersky

    Writing off the whole of the Russian computer industry because there are Russian cyber criminals is like writing off the whole of the US car industry because there are US car thieves.
    Russia is also one of the biggest sources of cyber crime and downloading
    and executing a file from a somewhat unknown company would be silly.
    It wasn't meant to be an all encompassing comment.
    Don't take yourself so seriously because I certainly don't.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    6,542
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Is now the time to invest in an antivirus software for Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    and executing a file from a somewhat unknown company would be silly.
    Indeed it would, regardless of where it was hosted. Sort of my point.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    Re: Is now the time to invest in an antivirus software for Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Indeed it would, regardless of where it was hosted. Sort of my point.
    Yeah ok, your great wisdom has been taken on board.
    Give us another superb car analogy and we'll call it a day.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •