Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amazon Instant Video

Beans

Re: Amazon Instant Video

Quote Originally Posted by riesengreen View Post
    Hi All:

I have found the following answer to my problem--I can't watch Amazon Instant Videos with Firefox 22.0 on ubuntu 13.04. It is to run the following commands in a terminal.

sudo mkdir /etc/hal/fdi/preprobe
    sudo mkdir /etc/hal/fdi/information
    /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes --verbose=yes
    rm -rf ~/.adobe

Seems like lots of folks have used these and they work. I'm ready to do the same, but it's just that...well...I'd like to know what exactly it is that I am doing. I'd like to ask the following:

1) Am I correct in thinking that each line is a command to be entered in the terminal, followed by the enter key and my password?
    2) What does each command do? Even a broad outline would make me feel better about entering what are--to me--unintelligible lines of code into my terminal.

I appreciate all the help I've received here. If anybody has anything for me on this, thanks again!
    To answer #1, yes, those are commands and you'll need to enter them in the terminal, using enter to run each line. Your password will be requested for the first sudo, but will (usually) be remembered for the second.

To answer #2:
    sudo mkdir /etc/hal/fdi/preprobe creates a directory preprobe in /etc/hal/fdi/; the next line also creates a directory.
    I don't know what the third line does, but in the spirit of teaching a man to fish, I'll show you how to find out:
    1. The first part of the line (/usr/sbin/hald) is the path to a program to run, in this case, hald.
    2. Using that name, we can find out what the command does by typing man hald in a terminal and pressing enter. A "manpage" should appear, providing information about the command. Check Wikipedia for more on manpages.

The fourth line deletes the hidden directory .adobe in your home directory. In *nix, a dot at the beginning of a file/directory name generally hides the item. rm -rf recursively deletes a directory and forces deletion of all its contents. As with hald (and mkdir and sudo), you can use man rm to find out more about the rm command.

A quick personal note: If you're not familiar with the terminal, it's well worth getting acquainted. It's super-powerful!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

hal is not available in saucy (13.10). The solution that worked for me was to download libhal-storage1 and hal from the raring repositories.

Beans

Hmm. That makes sense, but it didn't work for me. I installed the 0.5.14-8ubuntu1 packages for HAL from Saucy but still get the flashplayer is out of date message. I also had to install libhal1 since libhal1-storage requires it. Did you also downgrade the Flash Player package? I use the partner repositories to install Flash; my version is 11.2.202.310-0raring1. How about you?

It would be nice if we could resolve this without needing changes to the Saucy repository. My conversation with the developers so far has not been very encouraging.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I have since tried removing the contents of ~/.adobe which was suggested in this post. I started Pi because it was the first item on the Prime Instant Video page. Now I see the first couple seconds of the film (the Lionsgate logo), but again the player crashes with the "out-of-date" message. Better, but not a solution yet.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Someone posted an updated hal for saucy in a ppa, which I found linked in a different thread. Seems to work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aperomsik View Post
    Someone posted an updated hal for saucy in a ppa, which I found linked in a different thread. Seems to work.
    Only this would work for me. Firefox now playing amazon instant in 13.10

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123