Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do Canadians have such a think accent?

Beans

Question Why do Canadians have such a think accent?

So I was checking out the accent tags on youtube and I'm shocked how think the Canadians accent is !! They sound like US southerner way over pronunciation of words and drawn out words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2SI0aynEY

I was also reading that Canadians say about has aboot and also phenomenon called Canadian raising what is that?

The eh they say a lot.

Anyone got youtube clip of both people Canada and the US saying about has aboot that seems strange
    Last edited by nec207; December 29th, 2012 at 02:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Why do Canadians have such a think accent?

Answer: Because Australia got all the convicts.

Beans

You've definitely never been to Boston then. When I was in Toronto last year didnt notice any different accents.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As long as you can be easily understood in the language you try to convey speech in. I'd say she speaks quite proper.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    As long as you can be easily understood in the language you try to convey speech in. I'd say she speaks quite proper.
    Yes she is easy to understand and in no way I was saying accents are bad there are many accents in the US and many accents in Canada some sound like US and others that sound more like they are in Canada . Not all people in Canada say aboot for about I think that is in the west coast of Canada say that.

I was saying that she over pronunciation of words and draws out words that all , not saying it is bad has there are many accents no one accent is better than the other.

Beans

It's the differences that make people interesting.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
    Yes she is easy to understand and in no way I was saying accents are bad there are many accents in the US and many accents in Canada some sound like US and others that sound more like they are in Canada . Not all people in Canada say aboot for about I think that is in the west coast of Canada say that.

I was saying that she over pronunciation of words and draws out words that all , not saying it is bad has there are many accents no one accent is better than the other.
    Actually it's the people in Central Canada that pronounce about differently, on the West Coast, we have the same generic accent as the North-western states..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most Canadians in metropolitan cities (Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, Victoria) have very weak accents, we don't say 'aboot', and generally speak pretty 'proper' English. Only Canadians from Manitoba, rural Ontario, and the east coast have 'funny' accents, and of course Quebecers speak a 'funny' dialect of French.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What's a think accent?

or is that how you pronounce thick?

Beans
    Hidden!

This is all I sink about this subject.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast