Thread: Cannot move file to trash, do you want to delete immediately?

Beans

Cannot move file to trash, do you want to delete immediately?

hey I have Ubuntu 12.10 on dual boot with windows 7.
    When I access the local disk D of windows from Ubuntu. I'm able to write and copy files. But when I try deleting something I get this "Cannot move file to trash, do you want to delete immediately?"
    Is there a way so when I delete a file from the local disk disk D in Ubuntu it goes to the trash?
    I've read that I can create a trash folder for this but didn't really get how to do it.
    PS: Sorry for my bad English.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot move file to trash, do you want to delete immediately?

Moved to the Absolute Beginner Section, as it has nothing to do Forum Feedback & help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi ,

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc
    The files in /host are outside of the virtual disk Wubi installs Ubuntu on. So it doesn't make sense for these to be 'deleted' and moved into the virtual disk's trash. If you want to delete them and keep them in the recycle bin, do it from Windows or move them onto the virtual disk first.

Personally I'd recommend keeping your data on the /host and not on the virtual disk as the host ntfs file system is more reliable than the virtual disk.
    source : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1810591

Thanks

Beans

Nikth I understand. But I'm asking because I'm using the same folders for musics videos and photos on both Ubuntu and Windows. So I'd like to add a Trash folder. I think I should be able to do it. I saw it here " http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...artition+trash " but didn't really know how to do it. I'm still a beginner and not too familiar with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by foxdib View Post
    I think I should be able to do it. I saw it here " http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...artition+trash " but didn't really know how to do it. I'm still a beginner and not too familiar with Ubuntu.
    Well , I'm not a wubi expert , but I think you misunderstood. The thread you've looked is not the same. There the situation is different.

I don't know if you can mount permanently the /host in fstab as is a folder and not a partition.

Also the problem in the thread you've looked is quite different because it has to do with permissions (read-write) but you have full permissions in /host folder and no permissions problem apply here.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on wubi installations will clarify things.

Thanks