Screen frequently freezes when laptop lid is closed
About once or twice a day I open my laptop lid to find the screen "frozen" and unresponsive. I'm not sure where the cause of this issue is, and I would like your help to guide me to find the root of the problem.
I'm in Ubuntu 12.04 (though, it has occurred in previous versions, but 12.04 is a fresh install and the problem remains). If more detailed system specs are required, I will provide them. I had a previous thread on this matter, but it was quite old and needed to be cleaned up a bit based on the things I had learned etc.
These are the things I know for certain:
- The screen is COMPLETELY frozen (no running animations or movement at all, like a screenshot) so it's not a problem with mouse input. The clock in the top right corner is stopped at the time the "freeze" and does not change.
- I can still move the mouse around on the screen (and see the cursor move around on the screen), but it doesn't "react" to anything (doesn't change to a vertical bar when hovered over text etc).
- Keyboard input does not work at all.
- Processes such as Samba, FTP, and Transmission continue to work just fine in the background. The "frozen" computer can still be reached via these means over the network.
- I have caught "animations" frozen mid-animate, for instance, the Skype launcher caught in the middle of a "buzz" when a new message was received.
- The CPU fan is not spinning more loudly than usual, so no process is taking up an unusual amount of processing power.
- The problem occurs when I close the lid, not open it (as can be seen by the time the system clock is frozen at). I'm not sure if the problem occurs immediately when I close the lid, or a few minutes after.
How would I go about diagnosing where this problem is so I can either solve it or file a bug report?
I am able to use ALT+F2 (which is what I currently use to safely reboot the computer) even when the screen is frozen.
Last edited by IQAndreas; June 11th, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Re: Screen frequently freezes when laptop lid is closed
I'm happy to say that this problem was fixed in Ubuntu 12.10, rendering this thread obsolete. I have gone months without a single "screen freeze".