Thread: Using Clonezilla to clone Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Using Clonezilla to clone Ubuntu 12.04

Hello,

I want to clone my recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 (I`m a new user of Linux and I want to learn more by tinkering and I want a safe net in case I`ll mess it up really bad...I`ve spent a few days installing stuff and making the OS the way I want so I would want to avoid a fresh install). From what I understand the best program to acomplish this is Clonezilla. I`ve read some tutorials but I still don`t understand something: does the image Clonezilla creates need a special partition just for itself, or is it just a file that`s saved somewhere on the partition? (.iso or whatever)
    What I want to do is use an external hard drive to store the image, and I have lots of other stuff on it. I`m reluctant to just try using Clonezilla and see what I can do with the image, since I`m afraid that I`ll end up formatting the drive by selecting a wrong option. Can anybody share some light on this?

P.S. sorry for the rusty english!
    Last edited by mihnea13; December 28th, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

Beans

Re: Using Clonezilla to clone Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by mihnea13 View Post
    Hello,

I`m interested in cloning my recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 (I`m a new user of Linux and I want to learn more by tinkering and I want a safe net in case I`ll mess it up really bad...I`ve spent a few days installing stuff and making the OS the way I want so I would want to avoid a fresh install). From what I understand the best program to acomplish this is Clonezilla. I`ve read some tutorials but I still don`t understand something: does the image Clonezilla creates need a special partition just for itself, or is it just a file that`s saved somewhere on the partition? (.iso or whatever)
    What I want to do is use an external hard drive to store the image, and I have lots of other stuff on it. I`m reluctant to just try using Clonezilla and see what I can do with the image, since I`m afraid that I`ll end up formatting the drive by selecting a wrong option. Can anybody share some light on this?

Clone it to whereever you like, it is a just a folder with some compressed files in it.

Boot to a Clonezilla CD or USB and then clone your disk or partition to a disk or to a partition or to a image saved in a location of your choice.

In your example, create a folder called clones or whatever then when asked where you want to clone to choose that folder on the external drive and it will create a subfolder with the name you give it.

Make sure you understand how to read hardrives and partitions though, such as sda1,sda2,sdb etc etc

Peace
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Thanks mate, I know I have to be careful with the drive names. Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here's a screenshot of an internal disk where I save my Clonezilla images to, you can see 3 images, one for each of a precise, quantal and raring install.

Each image one is around 1.7 gigs large.

That's all you get, a folder on the destination drive for each image you make.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Here's a screenshot of an internal disk where I save my Clonezilla images to, you can see 3 images, one for each of a precise, quantal and raring install.

your blackout is transparent

Peace
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    your blackout is transparent
    No worries.,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post

Thanks, now I`ll do it with no worries.