Thread: What's you guys' opinion on DragonflyBSD?

Beans

What's you guys' opinion on DragonflyBSD?

I got the idea earlier today of trying DragonflyBSD someday, and it seems like a good OS, but the being forked from FreeBSD 4.4 started to steer me away a little bit, but have any of you guys successfully implemented it as a desktop OS and if so, waddya guys think?

Beans

Re: What's you guys' opinion on DragonflyBSD?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocket1233c View Post
    I got the idea earlier today of trying DragonflyBSD someday, and it seems like a good OS, but the being forked from FreeBSD 4.4 started to steer me away a little bit
    May I ask why?

Beans

Outta the blue. That and HAMMER seems like a good filesystem, and it uses the NetBSD packaging system on top of that.

Beans

I meant, why did the fact that it was forked from FreeBSD give you pause? What's not to like about FreeBSD?

Beans

I like FreeBSD, I just was a bit skeptical about the fact that it was forked from an old version of it, that's all.

But nothing against FreeBSD itself, I have a desktop-oriented form of it - GhostBSD 3.0 LXDE - burned off as a LiveCD and I'm a pretty big fan of it as an OS.
    Last edited by TeamRocket1233c; January 28th, 2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Update

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocket1233c View Post
    I like FreeBSD, I just was a bit skeptical about it was forked from an old version of it...
    I still don't get it? It was forked and continually developed over the years. Following your logic you should have issues with FreeBSD as well seeing it had it's origins in a fork of BSD 4.3 Reno?

Beans

I don't though. FreeBSD's a great OS, with a great reputation for stability, and works really well in a desktop setting.

And I didn't think about it from that angle. ^^; Either way, considering what you said, Dragonfly's being looked into again.
    Last edited by TeamRocket1233c; January 29th, 2013 at 12:01 AM.