Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product

Beans

Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product

Rumors Running Wild About Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product
    Save the date: Jan 2 -- Ubuntu set to disrupt a new ecosystem," read the urgent message. "Ubuntu will announce a brand-new product." All lips were maddeningly sealed at the Ubuntuplex, of course, but the same couldn't be said of the blogger crowds camped outside in the hopes of learning more detail.
    What could it be?
    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Ru...uct-76943.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product

I hope it's an Ubuntu-powered popcorn maker!
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Ubuntu Tablets.

Not Ubuntu on Tablets...I mean little pills. Medicine. Tablets.
    Take one, and feel the Ubuntu flow. Patient, collaborative, and mutually respectful, man.

I'm hungry now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    Ubuntu Tablets.

Not Ubuntu on Tablets...I mean little pills. Medicine. Tablets.
    Take one, and feel the Ubuntu flow. Patient, collaborative, and mutually respectful, man.

I'm hungry now.
    like pez?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm going to guess an officially licensed ubuntu phone.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Warpnow View Post
    I'm going to guess an officially licensed ubuntu phone.
    If it is, and has a decent screen and specs, I'd buy one tomorrow.

It's probably going to be a weak netbook-esque tablet or phone... Severely underpowered, overpriced for the specs, and available nowhere.

Beans

It would be ironic if the product was a Google Glass competitor like they joked about on April 1st...

Beans

Ubuntu is putting a finger into too many pies and doesn't have the people or financial resources to do so competitively. They want to be TV, phone, tablet, desktop, server but don't have a single product that is profitable. Google and Apple both have profitable products which support future R&D. For example Apple had the ipod and iphone, both of which bring in money and Google had search and advertising which is bringing in money. But everything Canonical does runs at a loss and has done so for around 12 years.

I wish they would stop trying to launch new things and just focus on Ubuntu on the Desktop.
    Last edited by mr john; December 29th, 2012 at 07:53 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Ubuntu is putting a finger into too many pies and doesn't have the people or financial resources to do so competitively. They want to be TV, phone, tablet, desktop, server but don't have a single product that is profitable. Google and Apple both have profitable products which support future R&D. For example Apple had the ipod and iphone, both of which bring in money and Google had search and advertising which is bringing in money. But everything Canonical does runs at a loss and has done so for around 12 years.

I wish they would stop trying to launch new things and just focus on Ubuntu on the Desktop.
    From small acorns mighty Oaks grow.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post

It's all about mindshare. Ubuntu needs to be everywhere to have a chance, they can't simply stick to the desktop, which has dubious growth potential. Desktops are going to turn into a developer only platform, and developers have many flavours of Linux to choose from.

If Ubuntu wants to appeal to normal users, it has to be on the devices those users want to actually use, like tablets. Otherwise we'll be limited to iOS, Android, or Windows.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast