Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product

They're coming out with a USB powered toaster.

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Post Re: Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    It's all about mindshare. Ubuntu needs to be everywhere to have a chance, they can't simply stick to the desktop, which has dubious growth potential. Desktops are going to turn into a developer only platform, and developers have many flavours of Linux to choose from.

If Ubuntu wants to appeal to normal users, it has to be on the devices those users want to actually use, like tablets. Otherwise we'll be limited to iOS, Android, or Windows.
    Which looks the best prediction to me so far. The trickiest part of bringing Ubuntu® to the tablet phone is a small enough and fast enough Kernel 3.7 to run on T-Engine®, a microprocessor/microcontroller family co-developed by The TRON Association and much of the Japanese semiconductor industry. Worldwide, several manufacturers, including but not limited to nVIDIA®, Advance Micro Devices®, LG Electronics, Motorola®, &c., are producing competitors to T-Engine® for the portable-device market.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans

Post Re: Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Desktops are going to turn into a developer only platform [...]
    I can't say I agree with that at all. While I will agree that the desktop has an uncertain future (as I type this on my ThinkPad), I don't think the "desktop computing" standard can ever go away.

Yes, there are a number of people (my Grandma for instance) who only use their computers to check email, go on Facebook, and play games. My Grandma has not really used her desktop much since she got her iPad. She makes statements like yours, asking me why anyone would ever want a desktop, and if I think my laptop is on the way out.

My ThinkPad is the most powerful computer I own now, with an i7 and 8GB of RAM. I still periodically use my desktop, but I find my most frequent preference is to use my ThinkPad on a desk with an extra monitor.

I am an iPad owner, but I find that I either can't or don't want to use my tablet for everything I do. There are things my tablet does very well, and I use it daily for extended periods of time. However, it still is nowhere near the point of replacing my laptop.

As an advanced user, my tablet can't provide the kind of interfaces I want to have with my servers, such as NX, and support for protocols I frequently use to access my files such as NFS and SFTP is either non-existent or very clunky. I will admit, these complaints will not be mainstream reasons to keep desktop computing around. I am hopeful that future advancements in tablet applications and operating systems will overcome these problems.

Nevertheless, as a student, I would never dream of typing a research paper on a tablet. I much prefer my desktop for papers, where I can have my 3 monitors. In a pinch, I can use my laptop with dual screens. In a serious pinch, I'll use my laptop and 2 windows side by side. But switching between a browser and a word processor on a tablet, and using a sketchy touchscreen keyboard to type an 8-10 page paper? Forget it. Even with the Bluetooth keyboard I have for my tablet, there's no way I'd do that willingly.

To clarify, I believe tablets are very inferior to desktops and laptops for multitasking of any kind other than "listening to music while _____". To say that only developers would want desktop style operating systems in the future seems inaccurate... I would say only people who need to multitask or look at several pieces of information at the same time will always need something better than a tablet, unless major improvements are made to tablet operating systems and GUIs in the coming years.

A segment of people who I believe will continue using traditional computers for years to come: Students, Webmasters, Graphics Designers, CAD Designers, Software Developers, Authors\Journalists, Teachers\Professors, and anyone else who creates any content.

Tablets are great for consuming content, but not so good at creating it. Anyone who creates content (not just developers) will still use traditional operating systems for a long time to come.

Just my two cents.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My guess is some other type of device that Ubuntu will try to create an OS for before giving up and attempting an OS for a different device type. Canonical has developed a very bad habit of not following through on anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My guess is on Canonical announcing manufacturing partnerships for the release of TV's with Ubuntu TV built in.

You can really see the direction they're going in with the 'Unity' of OS across PC, tablet and mobile phone (with Ubuntu for Android) and TV. I wouldn't be suprised if there is a Steam lense for Unity in development as well so a console could be on the table too.

Microsoft and Apple are doing the same thing with their products, trying to build an all-encompassing ecosystem rather than just individual products.

Whoever comes out on top the next few years are going to be very exciting in the world of consumer technology.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; December 30th, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Desktops are going to turn into a developer only platform
    That remains to be seen. It really depends whether or not tablets etc turn out to be a fad. I think some every day tasks are moving over to those platforms, but the PC still has a place when it comes to serious work.

Personally I think the traditional PC case may disappear and people might instead dock their phones to traditional keyboards and monitors, because people like them. I can't see the desktop workstation disappearing though.

I for one got bored of all my tablets and went back to a laptop and desktop.

Beans

I hope its a e-shotgun to blow up ******* computaz
    Mind u I'd be out of a job if it is <doh>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I can't figure out how to remove the toast under Unity.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Schnable View Post
    I can't say I agree with that at all. While I will agree that the desktop has an uncertain future (as I type this on my ThinkPad), I don't think the "desktop computing" standard can ever go away.

Yes, there are a number of people (my Grandma for instance) who only use their computers to check email, go on Facebook, and play games. My Grandma has not really used her desktop much since she got her iPad. She makes statements like yours, asking me why anyone would ever want a desktop, and if I think my laptop is on the way out.

My ThinkPad is the most powerful computer I own now, with an i7 and 8GB of RAM. I still periodically use my desktop, but I find my most frequent preference is to use my ThinkPad on a desk with an extra monitor.

I am an iPad owner, but I find that I either can't or don't want to use my tablet for everything I do. There are things my tablet does very well, and I use it daily for extended periods of time. However, it still is nowhere near the point of replacing my laptop.

As an advanced user, my tablet can't provide the kind of interfaces I want to have with my servers, such as NX, and support for protocols I frequently use to access my files such as NFS and SFTP is either non-existent or very clunky. I will admit, these complaints will not be mainstream reasons to keep desktop computing around. I am hopeful that future advancements in tablet applications and operating systems will overcome these problems.

Nevertheless, as a student, I would never dream of typing a research paper on a tablet. I much prefer my desktop for papers, where I can have my 3 monitors. In a pinch, I can use my laptop with dual screens. In a serious pinch, I'll use my laptop and 2 windows side by side. But switching between a browser and a word processor on a tablet, and using a sketchy touchscreen keyboard to type an 8-10 page paper? Forget it. Even with the Bluetooth keyboard I have for my tablet, there's no way I'd do that willingly.

To clarify, I believe tablets are very inferior to desktops and laptops for multitasking of any kind other than "listening to music while _____". To say that only developers would want desktop style operating systems in the future seems inaccurate... I would say only people who need to multitask or look at several pieces of information at the same time will always need something better than a tablet, unless major improvements are made to tablet operating systems and GUIs in the coming years.

A segment of people who I believe will continue using traditional computers for years to come: Students, Webmasters, Graphics Designers, CAD Designers, Software Developers, Authors\Journalists, Teachers\Professors, and anyone else who creates any content.

Tablets are great for consuming content, but not so good at creating it. Anyone who creates content (not just developers) will still use traditional operating systems for a long time to come.

Just my two cents.
    If by a "tablet" one means an iPad or a Microsoft Surface then by all means I agree with this entirely. In fact I would go further tablets that are tied to an app store are only designed to consume content that has been approved by the corresponding censor, Apple or Microsoft as the case may be. In addition real disruptive innovation will never occur in a platform, such as IOS or Windows RT, when one has to get permission in order to innovate.

The reality is that there is no reason other than DRM and entrenched propriety software vendors why a tablet or a smartphone has to be shackled in this fashion. Put GNU/Linux on a tablet or a smartphone and hook it up to via a docking station to a desktop keyboard and mouse together multiple monitors and there is minimal if any impact on the workflow of many content creators. About the only thing one will not be able to do on such a smartphone or tablet powered workstation is run x86/AMD64 Windows in a virtual machine! Stick to only FLOSS and I doubt even a very sophisticated user will notice the difference.

The beauty of this setup is that this same user can then take the smartphone or tablet and access the content that have created in mobile environment or dock it in another location for example when travelling. The impact here is truly revolutionary. This is the idea behind Ubuntu for Android. http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android and I would not be surprised if a product along these lines is what Canonical is going to release. By the way the presence of GPLv3 code on the GNU/Linux side will also ensure that the Andorid is also liberated by providing the owner of the device with root access and consequently will prevent any innovation stifling censorship on the part of a device manufacturer or a wireless provider.

The desktop experience will not disappear but desktop towers as we know them may will become rare and specialized, being replaced for the most part by docked tablets, or smartphones. If fact the only thing that will prolong the life of the desktop tower may be the likes of Apple and Microsoft with their DRM infected, locked and closed devices.
    Last edited by Dr. C; December 30th, 2012 at 04:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    My guess is some other type of device that Ubuntu will try to create an OS for before giving up and attempting an OS for a different device type.
    Ouch!

You're absolutely right, though.

Canonical never follows through properly. Windicators, netbooks, Ubuntu for Android, Ubuntu Mobile, Ubuntu TV, the HUD as a menu replacement, Ubuntu for ARM, Ubuntu Light, Android Execution Environment... a trail of potential products that Canonical lost interest in.

I do care what product they announce, but only because I can sigh and say "That sounds really cool, but it's a shame it will never actually happen".
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast