Thread: 12.04 + Macbook 2,1 = S-L-O-W bootup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

12.04 + Macbook 2,1 = S-L-O-W bootup

Hello all,

upgraded from 11.04 a couple of months ago, and after some fiddling, such as disabling error messages and ditto reports etc, am quite happy with both speed and performance. However; on startup, I have to wait around 28 secs from login to desktop, and considering that used to take a mere 4-5 secs under 11.04, I suspect something might in fact be not-quite-right. It is an old processor, I know, but I would feel a lot more comfortable if it turned out that other 'old mac' owners experienced the same problem, if problem it is.

Additional info: 1. startup times have not increased over time, but remain constant. 2. no 'unwarranted' hangs. 3. running real-time sunlight wallpaper on startup, which lately has had problems renewing satellite image content - but should have no propblems first time of a session.

Help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: 12.04 + Macbook 2,1 = S-L-O-W bootup

I imagine it is Unity that is taking so long. It became noticeably more resource hungry and slow in 12.

I recommend installing GNOME and the GNOME panel. Not only will GNOME give you a much faster experience but the panel give you the ability to log into Unity, Unity 2D, GNOME classic and GNOME 3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If I were you I would first check which programs are started automatically. Since you already mention

3. running real-time sunlight wallpaper on startup, which lately has had problems renewing satellite image content - but should have no propblems first time of a session.
    is that application pulling content from the web? Have you tried disabling it to see if things change?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thank you both. Here are my reflections:

@ powerpcliberation: This was my first thought, almost a reflex. It seems to be the received wisdom on the forums. However, only startup is slow. Once started, I do not get the impression that processes are slower at all. Any thoughts on how I can test this properly (now that I know longer have 11.04 installed)?

@ 2F4U: I tested this, but it makes no difference if I run sunlight wallpaper or not. The point is, for startup I have the exact same setup as I did with 11.04, but boot up time has quadrupled. What I'd like to know is if users running 12.04 with similarly old hardware share the same problem?