Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: looking for a new wireless router (maybe)

Beans

Re: looking for a new wireless router (maybe)

when I was looking for the routers, I read this article that listed a few great models, maybe it can do you a favour

http://www.wirelessrouterhome.com/be...router-review/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by carson86 View Post
    when I was looking for the routers, I read this article that listed a few great models, maybe it can do you a favour

http://www.wirelessrouterhome.com/be...router-review/
    Please read rest of thread and particularly the posts just before yours. It has been clearly established this has nothing to do with the router (and rarely if ever does). All routers should be compatible and the problem generally lies elsewhere. Thanks.

Beans

Just to sum up, the WiFi card is dying, and thats the problem.

The issue, System76 wants a lot of money for a cheap card (for shipping)

another issue, the cd/dvd drive has also quit - so I called them, again, to see what I can do with my lemon, namely send it back as it is less then 30 days old.

Turns out they can just add the Canadian Warranty Shipping Coverage so for only $23.00 shipping is covered both ways for the parts. (all of them for the 1 year warranty)

I am happy again. I will still put the new "upgraded" card in the laptop and report back. I just wanted to say, I am less upset with System76 now.

Beans

Just a final update, System76 has "given" me (I had to pay for it of course, and it magically went up to $35.00 before they could add it) the shipping warranty, I have yet to collect on it yet, but it looks good to go. (just moving ahead really slowly)

In the mean time, I had already ordered an Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 A/B/G/N it showed up today and I popped it in.

Just removed the large access door, removed the old card, put in the new one, noticed an extra (the 3rd) antenna wire, so I attached that as well to the new card (has 3 rather then 2) and put the door back on. Took maybe 5 minutes, if that. Booted up and everything worked.

I did the ping test and it is virtually unchanged with the power cord plugged in or not. So problem solved, the Laptop is now wireless again.

P.S.
    Loving Ubuntu! (unix operating system with easily replaceable hardware, so long crApple!)
    Last edited by nobodyfamous; January 18th, 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123