Thread: 12.10 MAAS issues from fresh install...

Beans

12.10 MAAS issues from fresh install...

I'll give you some background first...

I installed ubuntu with maas using the instructions on maas.ubuntu.com. I have 2 network adaptors, one on my lan, and another on which I plan on using maas to manage.

I installed using the first ethernet for my lan. (Installing entirely from disk had issues for me, but this seemed to work perfectly). Then after the install, I reboot, configured my second ethernet card, and configured MAAS to use that. I ran maas-import-pxe-files, which appeared to install successfully.

In the MAAS dashboard, I have a message:

Code:
    No boot images have been imported yet. Either the maas-import-pxe-files script has not run yet, or it failed. Try running it manually. If it succeeds, this message will go away within 5 minutes.
    I waited, I rebooted, I reran the import, no luck. Could someone point me in the right direction?

This may be unrelated, but I noticed my /etc/maas/import-pxe-files had precise, not quantal in it. I did try to change it to quantal, but then the import fails as the files do not exist on the server it is going to to get them.

Thanks

Beans

Re: 12.10 MAAS issues from fresh install...

I forgot to mention... This is a combined region controller and cluster controller. The default setup has RELEASES="precise" and ARCHES="amd64/generic i386/generic armhf/highbank" (which I have since set up for only amd64/generic), but I've tried both.

When I run the maas-import-pxe-files script, I get:

Code:
    Downloading to temporary location /tmp/tmp.w3xCwsJZPd.
    /tmp/tmp.w3xCwsJZPd /var/lib/maas/media/storage
    2012-12-27 21:06:49 URL:http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu//dists/precise/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/ubuntu-installer/amd64//linux [4965840/4965840] -> "linux" [1]
    2012-12-27 21:06:53 URL:http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu//dists/precise/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/ubuntu-installer/amd64//initrd.gz [17446386/17446386] -> "initrd.gz" [1]
    /var/lib/maas/media/storage
    Downloading to temporary location /tmp/tmp.WGd6qjzAae.
    /tmp/tmp.WGd6qjzAae /var/lib/maas/media/storage
    /var/lib/maas/media/storage
    precise/amd64: up to date [maas-precise-12.04-amd64-ephemeral-20121008]

Beans

More info...

I found this in my /var/log/upstart/maas-region-celery.log

Code:
    Creating user "maas_workers" ...
    ...done.
    Creating vhost "/maas_workers" ...
    ...done.
    Setting permissions for user "maas_workers" in vhost "/maas_workers" ...
    ...done.
    rndc: connect failed: 127.0.0.1#954: connection refused

Beans

I reinstalled using 12.04 and everything seems to work. I'll just use that.

Beans

I just wanted to post and say that 12.04 ended up not working out well for me. PXE would not work (which I posted in another thread). And then I couldn't get juju to get status properly in 12.04 due to some api differences.

I did figure out how to get 12.10 working. I tried doing the install from media option many times, every time with the same result above. Instead, I tried doing a base server install, then installed each package using apt-get after configuring my second network adaptor.

I'm not sure if the 12.04 maas from media install is just broken, or it has to do with using that method along with changing network adaptors in the process.

The only thing I'll say is not working is that I cannot create quantal nodes, only precise. This seems to be because the quantal pxe files have not been published, yet. (correct me if I am wrong about this).

But doing this, I do have a 12.10 maas server running with 12.04 commissioned nodes. Now I'll get back to juju and see if I can get that working properly under 12.10.