Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Canon MP4450 install with UFR driver 2.6 32bit install

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    Hi UT_Libertarian;

I am not clear about how this MF4450 is connected to your computer;

what does

give please if you can paste the results back please

.......obviously with the printer all plugged in and warmed up etc

I wasn't clear if you had located where the Canon driver had placed the ppd files: it usually seems to be /usr/share/cups/model/

In one of their guides, Canon mention that it can be helpful to spell out the full path to a ppd file (if using -P)

the example they give is

"/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p iRC5180 -P /usr/share/cups/model/CNCUPSIRC5180ZK.ppd -v lpd://192.168.1.10/iRC5180 -E"

where the printer is iRC5180 and the ppd file is CNCUPSIRC5180ZK.ppd (the K is for english and a J ppd is for Japan) and the full path to the ppd is /usr/share/cups/model/CNCUPSIRC5180ZK.ppd

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

I thought if we covered that ground first and then backtracked on what you had done

__________________________________________________ ______________________________-

when you said

did you mean you had entered the command

if you COPY and paste the above command again for us please, and copy and paste back the result if any result emergis please
    Originally, this printer was connected to a usb port on my router, where it was accessible to my kids' laptops and my wife's Windows pc, but not by my ubuntu machine. So yesterday, I decided to (temporarily) connect it to my ubuntu machine directly via usb to establish communication and functionality, and then return it to the router and work on the technicalities of finding it there.

When I enter the command sudo /usr/sbin/lpinfo -v I get the following:

network http
    network https
    network ipp14
    network ipp
    network ipps
    network lpd
    network socket
    network beh
    direct scsi
    network smb
    direct usb://Canon/MF4400%20Series?serial=1116A5202457&interface=1
    direct usb://Canon/MF4400%20Series%20FAX?serial=1116A5202457&interfac e=2

In the extraction process, I have no idea where it put the ppd files, so i downloaded again, and saved it to a directory I knew where they were, and in trying to get the auto-detect to install the printer, I pointed it there to get the ppd file.

When I tried to check the driver version, I used the rpm command listed in the guide.

Since we last communicated this morning, I made a few other attempts at getting it to work, and ended up (trying to) undo everything I did, so that when you again became available this afternoon, I could start with (nearly) a clean slate. Therefore, when I now enter sudo dpkg -l | grep cndrvcups I just get the terminal prompt back, no output.

Sorry this is a little slow, when I reply with a quote, the requested commands do not show up in the edit box, and I have to open another tab with the post there to see what was listed.
    Read the Patriot Post. It's right. It's free. http://patriotpost.us

Beans

Re: Problem connecting to network printer

OK;

well we need to install the common driver first [COLOR="#008000"]cndrvcups-common_2.60-1_i386.deb[/COLOR and then the specific cndrvcups-ufr2-uk_2.60-1_i386.deb

assuming you downloaded the package Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V260_uk_EN.tar.gz to your Downloads directory;

cd Downloads
    ........then the command
    ls
    should show you what's in that directory; and the package Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V260_uk_EN.tar.gz should be there ..so..

tar -zxvf Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V260_uk_EN.tar.gz
    ......and that creates a directory called Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V260_uk_EN and then you need to drill inside it to the Debian directory so the command should be

cd Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V260_uk_EN/32-bit_Driver/Debian/
    .........and if you again type
    ls
    ........you should see two packages

............ cndrvcups-common_2.60-1_i386.deb and cndrvcups-ufr2-uk_2.60-1_i386.deb

Ubuntu uses Debian packaging, so you are using deb packages .............

so the next two commands to install these are

sudo dpkg -i cndrvcups-common_2.60-1_i386.deb
    and then

sudo dpkg -i cndrvcups-ufr2-uk_2.60-1_i386.deb
    then restart cups

sudo service cups restart
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

then Canon say to Register the printer (PPD) with the print spooler.

Your list of programmes on your Ubuntu desktop should have one called "Search": on mine, if I type in ppd and ask it to look through the file system, it finds a list of ppd files, and the Canon ones seem to get installed in /usr/share/cups/model/ and usually lpadmin knows where to look

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________-

the command Canon says to register is

sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [Printer Name] -m [PPD file] -v usb:[device file location] -E
    so for you it should be

sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p MF4450 -m [PPD file] -v usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

I think it is likely the name of the ppd file is something like CNCUPSMF4450K.ppd and its correct name should be entered in the above

.....then you should have a driver and be able to print
    Last edited by pdc; May 31st, 2013 at 01:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, so I installed the two package listed above, except that I have the US package instead of the UK package, and made the corresponding adjustment to the install command. Then I made sure to change dir to the one containing the ppd file, which, again, was the US variety, to register the printer with the spooler. All went well. I still had a previous version of something installed, because when I looked in the system settings under printing, there was the old one, and the newly installed MF4450. When I opened the MF4450 and attempted to print a test page, it showed up in the print queue of both printers. I deleted the previous printer, and cancelled the processing job for the MF4450, then re-started the test page. That was a few minutes ago, and it still shows in the print queue as "Processing". This is an improvement over previous attempts, in that before, the queue showed the printer as "Stopped". The incoming data light on the printer never flickered, so I don't know what to make of that. If this still doesn't pan out, I will uninstall both packages and try again after having deleted the printer listed in system settings. Hopefully then a clean pass through all steps listed above should clear all hurdles.

Beans
    Distro

Backed out through all steps, and repeated a clean install. Print queue still shows "processing" after several minutes, but nothing at the printer. Trying to hurry through this, my fingers are getting tongue-tied.....

Correction - in the print queue, it states "Processing" but under printer properties, it states the status as "Processing - Waiting for printer to become available."
    Last edited by UT_Libertarian; May 31st, 2013 at 02:15 AM. Reason: more information

Beans

as you said the printer was now USB to your computer, I was hoping a simple /dev/usb/lp0 would suffice

However I see you got

usb://Canon/MF4400%20Series?serial=1116A5202457&interface=1
    on the command "sudo /usr/sbin/lpinfo -v"

as I understand it, when you register the printer the name you enter......is what appears on Ubuntu, so you can call it anything.....so if we call this latest try MF4451

and try the command

sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p MF4451 -m [PPD file] -v usb://Canon/MF4400%20Series?serial=1116A5202457&interface=1 -E
    ........again I don't know what the ppd file was called .......perhaps you let us know as it may be useful to someone else........

Beans
    Distro

I got those results from sudo /usr/sbin/lpinfo -v after having used the command sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p MF4450 -m CNCUPSMF4400ZS.ppd -v usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E the guide from the download package mentioned if there were connecting problems, to try the command you suggested, which I did, with no change in results. It still shows the status "idle - waiting for printer to become available"

Beans

I see again the Canon guide says

If you are connected via USB to a device that requires bi-directional communication, specify "cnusb" instead of "usb" in commands.
    and your device seems bi-directional

they also say

In such cases, you can confirm [device file location] by executing the "/usr/lib/cups/backend/cnusb" command (in the case of 32-bit operating systems) with administrator privileges.
    so what does

sudo /usr/lib/cups/backend/cnusb
    give you

I guess we are heading towards some sort of

sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p MF4451 -m CNCUPSMF4400ZS.ppd -v cnusb://Canon/MF4400%20Series?serial=1116A5202457&interface=1 -E

Beans
    Distro

After entering sudo /usr/lib/cups/backend/cnusb I get the result direct cnusb:/dev/usb/lp0 "Canon MF4400 Series" "Canon MF4400 Series CNUSB #1" and when I enter the command you suggested, I get the following result

[1] 4985
    -E: command not found
    [1]+ Done sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p MF4451 -m CNCUPSMF4400ZS.ppd -v cnusb://Canon/MF4400%20Series?serial=1116A5202457

Now I show two printers, 4450 and 4451. 4450 states idle - not connected. 4451 states stopped.
    Last edited by UT_Libertarian; May 31st, 2013 at 04:45 AM. Reason: more info

Beans

I see Canon say

Do not register the printer using the "lpadmin" command before restarting CUPS.
    so we had better use the command

sudo service cups restart
    ............as I understand that, it sort of "reboots" CUPS ........

__________________________________________________ ___________---

well it seems like your printer is seen as

cnusb:/dev/usb/lp0
    so the syntax from Canon is

# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [Printer Name] -m [PPD file] -v usb:[device file location] -E
    so if we try

sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p MF4452 -m CNCUPSMF4400ZS.ppd -v cnusb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E
    ........if you copy and paste that ...........looking for an MF4452 created ............
    Last edited by pdc; May 31st, 2013 at 04:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro

It's ALIVE!!!!

Now if I can reconnect it to the router and talk to it there, I'll be set.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast