Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

Beans

Smile Re: Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieApocalypse View Post
    AMD have now released 13.1 legacy drivers (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx). If you're feeling masochistic you could try these.

But to be honest, if you want people to help you, I think you need to provide more information. Like the exact procedure you used to installed the drivers (ie commands you typed into the terminal, etc).

However, if your system is working fine on the open source drivers and your needs are adequately fulfilled, then perhaps you should just stick to these?
    Thanks for the reply man. I'll get to it when I get rid of ma unfinished business. And I'll let you know about the commands for sure.

I just want you to stick to this thread and assist me at least until I try this version of drivers.

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

"
    Quote Originally Posted by rex_dante View Post
    See, Ubuntu runs SMOOTH when I "don't" use ANY drivers. Problem occurs when I install ANY drivers. And I'm just about to remove the drivers now AGAIN and won't install in anymore. I'm fed of this **** now! :\ :'((
    If you aren't using ANY drivers then you would have NO VIDEO AT ALL.
    Your notion of "no drivers" is what the rest of us refer to as the open source driver - which is installed by default.

We went over this days ago.
    Last edited by verymadpip; January 24th, 2013 at 05:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

These are the exact steps I took to successfully install the Catalyst 13.1 legacy drivers on my laptop which uses an ATI mobility radeon 4250. This was done in Kubuntu 12.04 AMD64, but it should work exactly the same in Ubuntu. Note that these drivers will not work in 12.10 without downgrading xorg.

1. I downloaded the driver from the AMD site (link here) to a folder I named AMD and unzipped the file.

2. I purged my system of previous fglrx installations:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx
    3. I made sure all required dependencies were installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install debhelper dkms libqtgui4 libstdc++6 libelfg0 unzip
    and for 64-bit systems:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch i386 lib32gcc1 ia32-libs libc6-i386 ia32-libs
    4. I installed the driver:
    Code:
    cd amd
    sudo sh amd-driver-inst*.run --buildpkg `lsb_release -is`/`lsb_release -cs`
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb 
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    5. Reboot the system

6. Test the driver installation
    Code:
    fglrxinfo
    and then
    Code:
     fgl_glxgears
    Note that by default v-sync is enabled in the Catalyst Control Centre, so the fgl_glxgears test will not generate an fps above your refresh rate (in my case 60Hz). By disabling v-sync I get around 300fps.

Hope this is of use to you.

Beans
    Distro

I have an ati 4250 or should say did have.

All worked okay bar HD video playback which was choppy/tearing. It was using the cpu as well to do playback rather than pass through which caused the problem.

I replaced with cheap nVidia 210 around £20 and used the vpau mode for hd playback and problem solved on the mythbox.

Will be interested to see if 13.1 drivers fix this as the ati card is now in a different dual boot system that I want to play hd content from mythtv.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by furything View Post
    I have an ati 4250 or should say did have.

All worked okay bar HD video playback which was choppy/tearing. It was using the cpu as well to do playback rather than pass through which caused the problem.

I replaced with cheap nVidia 210 around £20 and used the vpau mode for hd playback and problem solved on the mythbox.

Will be interested to see if 13.1 drivers fix this as the ati card is now in a different dual boot system that I want to play hd content from mythtv.
    I actually haven't tried HD video playback on the new drivers (will try over the weekend) as I've only just installed them, but I had no problems with 12.6. My laptop is plugged into my HDTV and regularly used for watching HD content. Enabling tearfree (or whatever it's called) in the Catalyst Control Centre fixed any tearing and enabling video acceleration ensured smooth playback. This can be enabled by:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 libva-egl1 vainfo
    and to test
    Code:
    sudo vainfo
    I use VLC for video playback. In VLC, xvba can be enabled by checking the "Use GPU acceleration" box in the Inputs and Codecs section of the preferences. I think you need to restart VLC for it to take effect.

more info here

Beans
    Distro

Thanks ZombieAppocalypse
    I actually haven't tried HD video playback on the new drivers (will try over the weekend) as I've only just installed them, but I had no problems with 12.6. ....
    May give this a try now.
    I am using mythfrontend as the playback tool so I can stream live hd tv content so I will give the new drivers ago.

Beans

The driver setup program is telling me that fglrx was detected on my system. Do I need to reboot or something?

Beans

Angry Re: Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

These are the exact steps I took to successfully install the Catalyst 13.1 legacy drivers on my laptop which uses an ATI mobility radeon 4250. This was done in Kubuntu 12.04 AMD64, but it should work exactly the same in Ubuntu. Note that these drivers will not work in 12.10 without downgrading xorg.

1. I downloaded the driver from the AMD site (link here) to a folder I named AMD and unzipped the file.

2. I purged my system of previous fglrx installations:
    Code:
    3. I made sure all required dependencies were installed:
    Code:
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install debhelper dkms libqtgui4 libstdc++6 libelfg0 unzip
    and for 64-bit systems:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch i386 lib32gcc1 ia32-libs libc6-i386 ia32-libs
    4. I installed the driver:
    Code:
    cd amd
    sudo sh amd-driver-inst*.run --buildpkg `lsb_release -is`/`lsb_release -cs`
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb 
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    5. Reboot the system

6. Test the driver installation
    Code:
    fglrxinfo
    and then
    Code:
     fgl_glxgears
    Note that by default v-sync is enabled in the Catalyst Control Centre, so the fgl_glxgears test will not generate an fps above your refresh rate (in my case 60Hz). By disabling v-sync I get around 300fps.

Hope this is of use to you.
    Thanks for the reply man. I followed all your steps ONE-by-ONE and got it everything just fine. Drivers are installed (without ANY errors :3), configuration is good, glxgears giving nice fps etc.

But the main problem of mine persists. The ******* lagging issues with EVERYTHING including click-dragging lines. They even lags when I drag them to select files and folders. >:-\\

I think the problem could be with the MONITOR I got. I'm showcasing configuration of my system. Tell me if it's the RESOLUTION (1920 x 1080) that's making me mad because ON LOWER resolution (1024 x768), I get acceptable performance comparitively that I get on FULL HD resolution (1920 x 1080).

My systems' configuration:
    CPU: AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core Bulldozer 3.6 Ghz
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4250 512 MB
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H
    HDD: 1 TB Western Digit 7200 Rpm
    FANS: Stock Cooler for CPU, One on the shutter of cabinet, one on the backside one of SMPS itself, 4 in total.
    MONITOR: LG LS46 series (MEZ-62688468) FULL HD LED (1920 X 1080p)

Also, after installing the drivers, my CPU usage increases sharply (and keep on increasing gradually) nearly bottlenecking the ma CPU. :\

Now I feel like uninstall the drivers again. :'(
    Please tell me that could the resolution itself be a problem?
    And how the hell ma system can't get to run fine?
    How to fix this frigging piece of issue I got?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rex_dante; January 27th, 2013 at 10:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Well it sounds like you've done everything correctly, so I'm unable to offer any further advice as to what could be the cause of your problem. Though I must admit that I have the mobility version of the card and I am running my laptop at 1366x768, which is the maximum resolution my system supports.

Beans

Red face Re: Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

Well it sounds like you've done everything correctly, so I'm unable to offer any further advice as to what could be the cause of your problem. Though I must admit that I have the mobility version of the card and I am running my laptop at 1366x768, which is the maximum resolution my system supports.
    So, does it mean I'm hopeless now? :'(
    As no one else is replying to this thread but you and I appreciate that.
    Also, this new version of drivers is more choppy than the previous ones. I also got a hang-up a few minutes ago that it forced me to reboot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast