Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Windows 7

Beans

Installing Windows 7

I have Ubuntu Linux and I want to install Windows 7. I thought the Windows installation disc would reformat the HDD for me but it did not and so I could not install WIndows 7.

Beans

Re: Installing Windows 7

did u make it in install windows?

Beans

It said the HDD was not formatted and it had no option to format it.

Beans

to install windows you need to go to tools in the start befoe going to install stuff you should see tools in the bottom corner i dont know what corner but its one of the bottom ones choose disk managment or something like that and boom format stuff

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You will need to create and use an Ubuntu CD or USB and use GParted to create an NTFS partition. The Windows 7 installer is unable to see the Linux partitions. GParted is pretty simple to use and is listed under System tools on the live CD/USB, though it may be labeled "Partition Editor".

You will need to reinstall the grub boot loader after installing Windows in order to access ubuntu. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans

wow totally forgot it was ubuntu's CD that had that feature sorry about that

Beans

I can't use GParted while running Ubuntu from the harddrive?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by geronl View Post
    I can't use GParted while running Ubuntu from the harddrive?
    Gparted does not edit partitions that are mounted (i.e. root partition, home partition). By running from a livecd, those partitions are not in use, and can be edited
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

OK, I did it anyway. Can it reformat the main partition to use NTFS? It seems like it can. Do I simply overwrite the partition using Linux and use that for Windows 7? I did already add a gigabyte to the second partition, I guess I can reinstall Ubuntu on that later, right?

Beans

Let me clearer, I am running Knoppix off the disc. I added some space to the second partition, which should be enough. I guess I could add more since I am going to wipe the first one anyway. So, then I can reformat the linux boot drive partition and install Windows 7? Okay, so how would I get to load the Linux partition later? Use F8?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast