Thread: DVD Playback Problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

DVD Playback Problem

Hello,

I've just changed OS from Ubuntu 10.04 (No More Support) to Xubuntu 12.04. Install/Updates all good. Installed Restricted Extras, etc. for DVD playback. DVD's play & I get Sound Tracks; but I do not get Audio Track (of Actors). Can anyone help with
    this? Ubuntu 10.04 DVD Playback was getting real flacky the last year or so (Due to software upgrades and I think going to
    PulseAudio). Was hoping that 12.04 had cleared problem; but apparently not quite there for me. Any help, greatly appreciated.

F.Y.I.
    MPlayer is the only app that will attempt to play DVD. Parole takes "Gstreamer Backend Error". VLC cannot even open the disc.
    Back in the day (2004) when I went from WinXP to Ubuntu 10.04; everything worked perfect on my hardware. Last couple of years, some things have gone downhill with regular updates.
    Maybe Ubuntu/Xubuntu thinks my hardware is too old to work properly with
    their OS's????? After all, it was State Of The Art in 2004.

More F.Y.I.
    Have been trying everything the last day or so & have more info. Finally got VLC to see the DVD & it plays. Interestingly, Audio Track will not play in English; but will
    play Audio on Alternate Track? Same with MPlayer; which BTW is the only other player that recognises the DVD.

I also ask the forum moderator to move this thread to Beginners Section. Perhaps someone there has run across this problem.
    Again, any help is appreciated. I really like Xubuntu 12.04 so far & would like to get this thing put to bed so I can advance; instead of fighting probs.
    Last edited by trogbot; August 24th, 2013 at 08:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Question DVD Playback Problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: DVD Playback Problem

Threads merged and moved to Absolute Beginners Section.

Please do not cross-post in different areas of the forum. If you would like a thread moved, please click on the "report post" button to send a request to the staff area. Requests for thread moves in the text of a post are unlikely to be seen by forum staff, and I only noticed this when I noticed the cross-posting.

Good luck with solving this problem.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: DVD Playback Problem

I apologize. Didn't know how to request move.