Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RC Helicopters and Planes. Anyone Here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: RC Helicopters and Planes. Anyone Here?

My daughter and myself both fly glow fuel. She has a ugly stick and a senior telemaster. We built both of them. The ugly stick is covered in silk. I wanted to teach her how it used to be done. I have several different ones that I built when I was young, that still fly. We are presently building a Cessna 337 skymaster, that should be in the air by spring.

Beans

This is the one I fly, not often, but I do fly it when I'm not in the cessna

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCAS2&P=0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    ...1clue, neighbor of mine used to fly some model airplanes back in the day about like that. He has since moved to the real thing now. Not sure if I want something that big to mess with, but maybe later on this summer we may upgrade to something that can fly outdoors without crashing.
    The mSR is an indoor helicopter. The difference between mine and most of the models being talked about here is that mine has 1 main rotor and a tail rotor, and it uses a 5 channel radio. Mine is missing only a collective to make the controls the same as a full size heli.

FWIW if anyone is considering getting into this, the bigger the heli the easier they are to fly, all other things being equal. Also, the twin rotor ones are MUCH easier to fly, because the top rotor is set up like a stabilizing rotor. The problem is, you can't get really crazy with those.

Personally if I were to start over again I would still go the route I went: Get a twin rotor heli (Bind-n-Fly is what I got, for Spektrum radios, but any 2.4ghz would probably be similar) and a bunch of extra batteries, charge them all up and start flying in your home. When that gets boring, get the next level of difficulty and try again.

One advantage of the smaller birds is that repairing them is much cheaper.

Beans

Last edited by Gremlinzzz; December 27th, 2012 at 07:37 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    The mSR is an indoor helicopter. .........
    O wow..

Wife ordered us two 17" models last night. Not sure on the specs but their Syma's like the ones we have now. So they will prob arrive in a week. Fairly excited to get them.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

I love RC choppers but I am hopeless at flying the things.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    You should try RC planes. You can get some small, cheap electric things that you can fly in a park, or other fairly small outdoor spaces (and they're very quiet so they won't bug people). Giant glow fuel, gas and turbine powered planes are fun, but so are small, slow-flying electric planes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Serious about the ones with built in Gyro's. They can just about float mid air with little effort at all. Now those without built in Gyros like my older one, now they are a challenge to get to stay in the air were you want them and they want hover most of the time as they are designed to always move forward.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU

Beans

The dual main rotor acts as a gyro. It's set up to be inertially controlled, to bring the heli back to hovering mode. Basically your radio tries to move it, and that top rotor fights you the entire way.

The electronic gyro is a definite plus, and I don't know if a small single-rotor-plus-tail-rotor helicopter would even be viable without one. The bigger helicopters are also much more easy to fly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    The dual main rotor acts as a gyro. It's set up to be inertially controlled, to bring the heli back to hovering mode. Basically your radio tries to move it, and that top rotor fights you the entire way.

The electronic gyro is a definite plus, and I don't know if a small single-rotor-plus-tail-rotor helicopter would even be viable without one. The bigger helicopters are also much more easy to fly.
    Ahh, I believe all ours are dual main rotors then. There are two motors, turning the lower blades and then another motor turning the upper blade in the opposite direction. Plus a weighted counter throw above the top one. Is this what your referring to?

EDIT:
    Here is a photo my wife shot the hell flying.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bandit; December 28th, 2012 at 10:40 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast