Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: RC Helicopters and Planes. Anyone Here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: RC Helicopters and Planes. Anyone Here?

The biggest plane I have ever owned was a 17.5' B-17 bomber, which was built out of aluminum with aluminum and silk covering. My Dad and I built it when I was 13 to fly in shows. The plane was destroyed in a tornado, so all I have is pictures, 2 of the motors and both radios it took to fly it back then. they are The big old blue Futaba radios when they first started building them. Surprisingly they are still operational....state of the art 4 channels......
    But it was fantastic to watch it fly. Pain to get all 4 motors in sync, but once they were warmed up and tuned, it was a blast.

Beans

Interesting. My sister lives in Ida Grove IA, a small town. They had an air show every year, there was a bomber of some sort that took two people to fly it. I thought the bomber crashed at one point rather than a tornado, but I could be wrong. That wouldn't have been you would it?

Beans

You see this vid yet? Awesome stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Nope wasn't us, never flew it in that state. This was over 20 years ago... The motors still run. Got them out today and started them up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    You see this vid yet? Awesome stuff!
    LOL that was pretty good. Got a good LOL out of watching it.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

I have a question about getting one of mine to hover better.

I recently got a JXD Drift King 340 4 channel helicopter. Its very nice looking with plenty of eye candy LEDs.
    The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have a stable hover and it also tends to drift backwards or to the side. Side motion is cuz battery is loose and needs better securing and I am gonna fix the back drift with a weight in front soon. But it is difficult to maintain a stable hover elevation. One min its 3ft from the ground, the next I am backing the throttle to keep from hitting the ceiling. Would adding more weight help fix this issue. I can hear the normal motor whine and they are not jumping up to fast or to slow, its very smooth to acceleration. Just feels like it needs another few ounces of weight to keep stable, but wasn't sure and was looking for advice.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Last edited by Bandit; January 13th, 2013 at 02:15 AM.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

The real fun starts when you convert an RC plane into an autonomous aircraft. See diydrones.com for details.

I've been working off and on, on an autonomous electric RC glider with 2 meter wingspan for about a year. At the current rate of progress it should be ready for its first flight in about another year - or next week...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    I have a question about getting one of mine to hover better.

I recently got a JXD Drift King 340 4 channel helicopter. Its very nice looking with plenty of eye candy LEDs.
    The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have a stable hover and it also tends to drift backwards or to the side. Side motion is cuz battery is loose and needs better securing and I am gonna fix the back drift with a weight in front soon. But it is difficult to maintain a stable hover elevation. One min its 3ft from the ground, the next I am backing the throttle to keep from hitting the ceiling. Would adding more weight help fix this issue. I can hear the normal motor whine and they are not jumping up to fast or to slow, its very smooth to acceleration. Just feels like it needs another few ounces of weight to keep stable, but wasn't sure and was looking for advice.

Thanks,
    Joe

Using weights to balance any aircraft can be a double edged sword. try first to adjust the balance with the battery and secure it before adding more weight to it. Honestly I think once you've found the "sweet spot" moving the battery around and securing it I believe you'll see a huge difference in flight characteristics. Proper balance or CG is crucial for any aircraft.
    Last edited by chadk5utc; January 13th, 2013 at 07:09 AM.
    To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
    Author: Robert Orben

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Irritating the bejeebers out of the dogs by buzzing them with a helicopter in the livingroom is excellent sport.
    This goes one step further in the irritation stakes,with a water cannon.

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView....r&form=KEYWORD
    Ubuntu 23.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This one is just plain strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kslv7l75jQ

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast