Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RC Helicopters and Planes. Anyone Here?

Beans

RC Helicopters and Planes. Anyone Here?

Hello Everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone here enjoys playing with remote control helicopters and air planes?
    My wife and I got a cheap 12US dollar one (Helicopter) last month at a local retail store and we didnt expect much from it so cheap. But after getting the hang of flying that one, we decided to get us two more off the internet that were much higher quality and have a built in gyroscope for stability. Well we lucked up and got two off Amazon from less then 30 bucks each for christmas. Been playing with one of them since yesterday and I have to say they are so much fun. Now the ones we got are good construction, but still way to small to use outside. But never the less I have had loads of fun with these. I was wondering if anyone else plays around with them here.

Here is a pic of the one we got. SYMA Gyros S107G:
    Last edited by Bandit; December 26th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Re: RC Helicopters and Planes. Anyone Here?

Last edited by mips; December 26th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Beans

@Mips, my dad would love one of those. But think they are to big for my living room though.
    One's we are using are little electric ones. But much more affordable.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I got one of these for Christmas. Two of my nephews have been into RC planes, helicopters and cars for several years, and they always seem to have the best toys.

It definitely takes a different skill set to fly one of these samll helicopters inside without breaking something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I used to fly large (7+ foot wingspan) RC planes that ran on glow fuel and gas... Flying outdoors is the most fun, but the most expensive (and require alot of space, such as a dedicated airfield - and may be subject to airspace laws...). Some of the guys I used to fly with had very large planes, approaching (maybe exceeding?) 20 foot wingspans, and turbine powered jets that flew 200+ mph...

Beans

Currently it's the Blade mSR. http://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/-Blade...ic-Helicopter/

I've stuck with this same company from the start. A few years back they made a Blade CX2 and I got that, it's about a foot long nose to tail, but twin rotor. I then went to the mCX, and now blade mSR. mSR has a single main rotor and a tail rotor, which is harder to fly. When this gets boring I'll upgrade to a bigger one, then go to 3D so I can fly upside down and such.

If you've discovered that you're really into this then I advise you buy a good radio transmitter and then get the toys without the included radio. You'll save a lot of money and you'll have more adjustments for better control.

I use a Spektrum DX7 transmitter on a bunch of different toys, it stores 20 different machines. My radio is no longer sold, but a variant is: http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Products/airRadios.aspx
    The advantage with this sort of radio is you can bind it to a specific receiver, and then that receiver will no longer pay attention to any other transmitter in the world until you bind it to something else. Also, your transmitter only talks to the active reciever and none other, meaning that if you have an aircraft and it's bound to the transmitter, and you have the wrong memory slot active, the plane still won't operate. It prevents you from flying on the wrong program settings.

Beans

Cariboo, if you get one that has the built in Gyro chip. You can get them to hover just about in one spot in your house. Fairly easy to do and the one I got is 8 inches, so if it falls out of the air chances it want even ding it up being made of aluminum and flexible plastic. So pretty durable. Wife and I just found a Syma 17 inch model on Amazon for 33 USD.. Looks pretty good and if its as good as the 8" Syma's we got now were in for a treat. You should check them out if your interested.

1clue, neighbor of mine used to fly some model airplanes back in the day about like that. He has since moved to the real thing now. Not sure if I want something that big to mess with, but maybe later on this summer we may upgrade to something that can fly outdoors without crashing.

Beans

Oh, definitely. Designing/building/flying model planes and helicopters is my biggest hobby. Well, actually I only design the planes, not the helicopters. Most of my designs are posted here and the two helicopters I have are the Maxir (now Ricco) and the Blade mCPX.

Beans

nothing like the smell of 15%Nitromethane in the morning...

S.P.A.D.S anyone???
    Last edited by chadk5utc; December 27th, 2012 at 06:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Irritating the bejeebers out of the dogs by buzzing them with a helicopter in the livingroom is excellent sport.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast