Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: RC Helicopters and Planes. Anyone Here?

Beans

Re: RC Helicopters and Planes. Anyone Here?

Here kitty lol interesting not sure Id do it but to each his own.....

Heres one for all you gun enthusiasts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZCH1492CzA
    To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
    Author: Robert Orben

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chadk5utc View Post
    Using weights to balance any aircraft can be a double edged sword. try first to adjust the balance with the battery and secure it before adding more weight to it. Honestly I think once you've found the "sweet spot" moving the battery around and securing it I believe you'll see a huge difference in flight characteristics. Proper balance or CG is crucial for any aircraft.
    Yea got to secure that battery back.. I had the thing a part for a week. Had chipped a tooth on a gear and ended up replacing a motor and upper wings shaft/gear also. But weight can be a double edged sword, can make it stabler, but also eats battery life and speed. Not looking to add much though, just a very very small fishing weight up around the nose of the craft to keep from it creeping backwards, also should add little more speed tilting the nose down more. X fingers..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Hi all, Been Flying for a year and a half now this is my collection so far.

Align T-REX 700E 3GX V2

Walkera V450D01

Walkera Genius CP

And a Walkera V120D02S not in the pics.

Once you get hooked thats it your spare cash is gone. Not an easy hobby to learn but if you keep at it, its a rewarding one.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NRP; January 14th, 2013 at 09:37 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    I have a question about getting one of mine to hover better.

I recently got a JXD Drift King 340 4 channel helicopter. Its very nice looking with plenty of eye candy LEDs.
    The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have a stable hover and it also tends to drift backwards or to the side. Side motion is cuz battery is loose and needs better securing and I am gonna fix the back drift with a weight in front soon. But it is difficult to maintain a stable hover elevation. One min its 3ft from the ground, the next I am backing the throttle to keep from hitting the ceiling. Would adding more weight help fix this issue. I can hear the normal motor whine and they are not jumping up to fast or to slow, its very smooth to acceleration. Just feels like it needs another few ounces of weight to keep stable, but wasn't sure and was looking for advice.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Don't add weight. That's a hack and has more disadvantage than advantage. Your heli is designed to do well at its existing weight.

I would recommend securing the battery, and look at anything else that might be moving or slipping. Check the rotors to make sure everything is really floppy. If it's stiff at all it can contribute to the sort of behavior you're talking about.

Another thing, find out what sort of radio it has, and go buy a better one. If you can get a programmable transmitter you can trim it to do almost anything you want, and you will inevitably get an easier to fly aircraft.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    Don't add weight. That's a hack and has more disadvantage than advantage. Your heli is designed to do well at its existing weight.

I would recommend securing the battery, and look at anything else that might be moving or slipping. Check the rotors to make sure everything is really floppy. If it's stiff at all it can contribute to the sort of behavior you're talking about.

Another thing, find out what sort of radio it has, and go buy a better one. If you can get a programmable transmitter you can trim it to do almost anything you want, and you will inevitably get an easier to fly aircraft.
    Hey 1Clue, its just a small helicopter not much bigger then a S107G w/ a IR remote. About 1.5cm longer at best. I did tape the battery and centered it up with some clear masking tape. How ever I did add 2 pennies next to the batter for frontal weight. Gonna test it tomorrow and see. Everything is tight or tight enough on it. I am sure this should solve my drifting issue, just hope this helps on my hovering issue. I havent crashed it hard or anything, ran into my jacket hanging on bedroom door and it fell 1 meter to the ground on carpet. Thats the worse "cough" landing so far Over all its a good indoor mini helicopter, but think they made it lighter on purpose because its a "racing" hely, yea races into a wall. Has even a high speed forward button.. I should take a video of it tomorrow and post it. Daughter is a sleep or I would do it now.
    Last edited by Bandit; January 14th, 2013 at 08:27 AM.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU

Beans

@Bandit,

My Blade mSR is actually smaller. I looked yours up and found out that you have an infrared remote, which makes this discussion irrelevant for your particular heli. If you have an IR remote you'd have to change out receivers to get a good radio on there anyway.

FWIW the smaller the aircraft, the less it can tolerate additional weight of any sort and the more it can benefit from the features on a good radio.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    @Bandit,

My Blade mSR is actually smaller. I looked yours up and found out that you have an infrared remote, which makes this discussion irrelevant for your particular heli. If you have an IR remote you'd have to change out receivers to get a good radio on there anyway.

FWIW the smaller the aircraft, the less it can tolerate additional weight of any sort and the more it can benefit from the features on a good radio.
    Good Morning,
    Hehe.. Just tried out my heli this morning and 2 pennies is 2 much.. LOL..
    Soon as I went to take off it made a bee line very quickly. May have been fun for racing outdoors as it was moved quickly forward. But I did take them off. Seems better now that I got the battery in the correct spot. Ironically now it has a very slight forward draft, but its enough to help without hurting it. Yea I want to get some good real RC ones one day. I go so many plans this summer i will just have to see how things go. If I do upgrade its prob gonna be a big jump up to drone heli with camera that I can control live and watch live video. Not one of the control now - watch later ones.
    I do photography as a hobby, would be super nice to use this for arial shots.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone here enjoys playing with remote control helicopters and air planes?
    My wife and I got a cheap 12US dollar one (Helicopter) last month at a local retail store and we didnt expect much from it so cheap. But after getting the hang of flying that one, we decided to get us two more off the internet that were much higher quality and have a built in gyroscope for stability. Well we lucked up and got two off Amazon from less then 30 bucks each for christmas. Been playing with one of them since yesterday and I have to say they are so much fun. Now the ones we got are good construction, but still way to small to use outside. But never the less I have had loads of fun with these. I was wondering if anyone else plays around with them here.

Here is a pic of the one we got. SYMA Gyros S107G:
    Thats a good living room starter. That's the exact model I started on... in red:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYDNldg2T4

I'm now up to Blade Helis. If you are wondering whats the next step try this...
    http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...rodID=EFLH2400
    Last edited by hydn79; January 14th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345