Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows software alternatives

Beans

Question Windows software alternatives

Hey guys,

I tried dual-booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10 - which didn't work, Windows isn't booting anymore. I know why it didn't work by now and I actually know how to fix it, but when I try reinstalling Windows from DVD, the setup doesn't recognize any partitions...
    But maybe I don't even need to solve that problem, because I really like Ubuntu, I just need to find some software alternatives. I'm looking for apps like

- Sony Vegas Pro
    - MorphVox Pro
    - HyperCam 3
    - Avery DesignPro

Espacially Vegas, MorphVox and HyperCam are very important to me because I used them a lot in Windows. If there are no Linux alternatives to those apps, I really need a solution for my dual-boot problem (I need Linux for some work stuff...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Windows software alternatives

Depending on your video editing needs, there are quite a few good programs available in the repos. In my opinion the best application on Linux for video editing is Kino, especially if you work with a DV camera over firewire. Openshot is good for basic editing too. Pitivi looks promising and is easy to use, but lacks some features. I also like Avidemux for post processing/transcoding. You may also want to look into Blender and Cinelerra for more advanced features.

Audacity and Ardour are two very good audio editing tools, although they don't do quite the same things as MorphVox.

gtk-recordmydesktop is a very easy to use screencasting tool like hypercam. If needed, you can even use VLC to record your X server although the process is nowhere near as straightforward as purpose-built software like recordmydesktop.

pretty much anything you can do on Avery Design Pro can be accomplished using LibreOffice Draw or Writer. As far as I recall, you should be able to import any Avery templates directly into LibreOffice.

Then if all else fails, there is always the option of using Windows software on WINE or Virtualbox.

** Almost forgot!
    Kdenlive has an avid fan community, if you're willing to venture outside the Gnome ecosystem.
    Last edited by N00b-un-2; December 26th, 2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: kdenlive

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by N00b-un-2 View Post
    Depending on your video editing needs, there are quite a few good programs available in the repos. In my opinion the best application on Linux for video editing is Kino, especially if you work with a DV camera over firewire. Openshot is good for basic editing too. Pitivi looks promising and is easy to use, but lacks some features. I also like Avidemux for post processing/transcoding. You may also want to look into Blender and Cinelerra for more advanced features.

Audacity and Ardour are two very good audio editing tools, although they don't do quite the same things as MorphVox.

gtk-recordmydesktop is a very easy to use screencasting tool like hypercam. If needed, you can even use VLC to record your X server although the process is nowhere near as straightforward as purpose-built software like recordmydesktop.

pretty much anything you can do on Avery Design Pro can be accomplished using LibreOffice Draw or Writer. As far as I recall, you should be able to import any Avery templates directly into LibreOffice.

Then if all else fails, there is always the option of using Windows software on WINE or Virtualbox.

** Almost forgot!
    Kdenlive has an avid fan community, if you're willing to venture outside the Gnome ecosystem.
    OK i tried to run MorphVox with Wine, it didn't work, and i know Audacity but that's not what I'm looking for. But all the other stuff sounds pretty promising, and I heard that Vegas Pro 10 is Wine compatible (I don't need the latest version of Vegas anyway). But I really need something like MorphVox, so I think I'm gonna have to try to get Windows again. Anyway, thank you for your answer

So has anyone got an idea how to make the Windows installer recognize partitions again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

what do you mean 'make the windows installer recognize partitions again'?

If there is an NTFS partition available on an MBR formatted hard drive, it will detect it.

If you are on a GPT disk, you can accomplish the same thing, provided your NTFS partition is between partitions 1-4 (the first always being the 200 MB EFI hidden drive) and using gptsync to create a hybrid MBR.

Beans

well there is an nfts partition availaible - the one windows was installed on before (and still is, but just not booting). but when i install windows from dvd, it shows me no partitions to install it on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arpanaut View Post
    not yet but that sounds good, i'll try it. thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Have you thought about running those windows programs inside a Virtual Box?
    What keeps the world in chains but your beliefs?
    And what can save the world except your Self?
    Belief is powerful indeed.

Beans

Running these apps in a virtual box really won't help him. Especially sony vegas takes a lot of computing power...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Quote Originally Posted by MishaX2 View Post
    Running these apps in a virtual box really won't help him. Especially sony vegas takes a lot of computing power...
    It all depends on the underlying hardware, really. I don't use Vegas for my video editing (Premiere user), but if you've got a Core i-series or equivalent processor, then running NLE software in a Windows VM shouldn't be that painful, if at all.

Although if it can run without problems under Wine, that's preferable to using a VM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast