Thread: Sharing Files Between Two Ubuntu PCs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sharing Files Between Two Ubuntu PCs

Hi everybody,

I'm using a switch to connect two computers running both Ubuntu 12.10 and I want to share some files between them.

How can I do this?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Sharing Files Between Two Ubuntu PCs

Quote Originally Posted by delphiexile View Post
    Hi everybody,

I'm using a switch to connect two computers running both Ubuntu 12.10 and I want to share some files between them.

How can I do this?

Thanks
    You can use either Network File System (NFS) or Samba (smb/cifs).
    -BAB1

Beans

Hey, I have a similar issue, but I'm not using a switch. Both my laptops are coneected to a LAN via wireless, one of them is running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (the place where files are), and the other is running Uuntu 12.04 LTS. I've tried this tutorial (http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/...ntu-computers/) to connect via ssh, but it won't connect =//

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sftp

If you just want to transfer some files, then OpenSSH is a lot less complicated than either NFS or Samba. You just need to install the package openssh-server on the remote machine and connect to it with an SFTP client like Nautilus, SSHFS or plain sftp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have 2 Ubuntu 12.04 PCs and a WD MyBookWorld NAS connected on a LAN. I can access all the NAS Shared files from my desktop, but only a few from the laptop. I am using Samba/CIFS and have setup the NAS to share all files. This is a permissions problem of some kind. I can access all files from the laptop if I use Windows. Any ideas?

SOLVED: This was caused by a different fstab entry on the laptop. These are the two entries:

Desktop://hp-nas/Public /media/hp-nas cifs auto,credentials=/home/david/.xxxxx,noexec,noperm 0 0
    Laptop ://hp-nas/Public /media/hp-nas cifs iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/pam/.xxxxx,dir_mode=0775 0 0

Changing the laptop fstab to match the Desktop gave me access to most of the missing folders. Still a few won't show.
    Last edited by bayvista; January 2nd, 2013 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Problem solved
    Just think how boring life would be without Ubuntu