Thread: How to bring Windows mapped drive in linux wine

Hybrid View

Beans

Lightbulb Access Windows Mapped Drives in Linux Wine

Hi,

I've just started with Linux and I'm having a problem. Hopefully someone can help me with this.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 and wine 1.5.19 on a IntelMacPro ( Slave ).
    On this Mac ( slave ) I'm running some Windows programs ( Lightwave: lwsn.exe and eyeon fusion: renderslave.exe ).
    This seems to work, but these programs need to access some Windows mapped drives ( like x: y: and z: to be precise ) on an other machine ( a Master running Win7 64bit ).
    Does anybody know how to get windows mapped drives into wine ( ~/.wine/dosdevices/ )?

So these programs can access the mapped drives.

I'm looking all over the net for answers but I can't seem to get this to work. Anybody know the answer?
    But remember I'm a Linux Dummy :-/

Thanks in advance...

With my best regards,
    Carlo

Beans

Arrow How to bring Windows mapped drive in linux wine

Hi,

I've just started with Linux and I'm having a problem. I've posted this question also in the network section with no success. Hopefully someone here can help me with this.

On this Mac ( slave ) I'm running some Windows programs ( Lightwave: lwsn.exe and eyeon fusion: renderslave.exe ).
    This seems to work, but these programs need to access some Windows mapped drives ( like x: y: and z: to be precise ) on an other machine ( a Master running Win7 64bit ).
    Does anybody know how to get windows mapped drives into wine ( ~/.wine/dosdevices/ )?

I'm looking all over the net for answers but I can't seem to get this to work. Anybody know the answer?

Thanks in advance...

With my best regards,
    Carlo

Beans

Arrow How to bring Windows mapped drive in linux wine

Hi,

I've just started with Linux and I'm having a problem. I've posted this question also in the network and wine section with no success. Hopefully someone here can help me with this.

Thanks in advance...

With my best regards,
    Carlo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How to bring Windows mapped drive in linux wine

Merging duplicate threads into one thread. Please do not create duplicate threads for the same issue, it dilutes community effort.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Please refer to this wiki for information on mounting cifs shares (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ComprehensiveSambaGuide). Once you have them properly mounted, you can run:
    Code:
    winecfg
    ...and on the "Drives" tab, set up your wine drive mappings to point to the cifs mappings you created earlier.

Beans

Sorry for the duplicate threads but I was getting a bit frustrated not being able to figure this one out after so many day's of research.

Many thanks for the hints, when I followed these steps I could manage to set-up these mapped drives in Linux. And I've managed to do a test render with the Linux machine. I even have the feeling it renders much faster than in Windows.

Aldo there are 3 issues I would like to address before I call this thread Solved.

Issue 1/
    ---------
    When the machine boots up it makes a connection with all the mapped drives. But doing so all the mapped drives open up ( pop up ) in a window ( explorer ) folder on the desktop.
    Is there a way to mount them in the background without all the windows popping up all over the desktop?

Issue 2/
    ---------
    I have the program RenderSlave.exe in the “Start-up Applications” tool. But apparently this program boots before the Network is ready. Therefore it can't find it's license on the Network.
    Is there a way to delay this Start-up or to be able to start this application only after the network is ready?

Issue 3/
    ---------
    Very view times when I booted the machine the next issue occurred:

It didn't pop up the windows folders of the mapped drives like in “Issue 1”. So when I went to the Home Folder and then clicked in the Network section on the “name of the shared map” I got the next message:

“Unable to mount “name of the shared map”
    mount: only root can mount//192.168.2.2/”name of the shared map” on/media/winshares/”name of the shared map”

How come most of the times it works fine and the next thing you know it can't because of an permission issue?

--------

I believe that if these issues are solved then I'm one step ahead of changing my Windows based render farm into a Linux one. Really appreciate the help I'm getting here in the Ubuntu Forums.

Thanks to you all...
    Last edited by Carlo Jongen; December 27th, 2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Spelling