Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 15" retina (Model 10,1) - how to disable nVidia display adapter?

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 15" retina (Model 10,1) - how to disable nVidia display adapter?

Great

BTW let me know if you start experiencing WiFi issues.. Maybe it's something with the refind stuff. The only thing that I haven't been able to fix yet. It must be interference from something inside the MacBook. In OS X and Windows I get 50 MBit/s+, in Linux its around 5Mbit/s - 20MBit/s, lots of packet loss etc. Neither the internal nor an external USB WiFi adapter work.

But on the other hand I've also tried the USB WiFi with an extension cord, so it shouldn't be interference. Also I've tried different APs etc. Truly a mystery.

Lately I've been thinking I guess it could be that some component X is on which is interfering with WiFi and/or USB, but don't know. I mean some component that is turned on in Linux but not in Win or OS X. And oh yes, I always have Bluetooth disabled too.

Quote Originally Posted by freeaks View Post
    i finally succeed in getting the intel driver running
    now lspci report my two vga chips and X is running fine with i915.
    i still run ubuntu only. the solution was to use refind (on esp) instead of grub.
    so i have a 200mb fat32 partition with refind, a directory "ubuntu" where i've put my kernel, initrd and a config file like this:
    Code:
    cat /media/EFI/ubuntu/refind_linux.conf 
    "Boot using standard options" "root=UUID=<uuid string> ro quiet splash $vt_handoff"
    "Boot using minimal options" "root=UUID=<uuid string> ro" 
    "Boot to shell" "root=UUID=<uuid string> ro text"
    "Boot using recovery options" "root=UUID=<uuid string> ro recovery nomodeset"
    installed raring daily iso, ran ubiquity with -b switch to prevent grub from being installed as explained in garalndg's guide here : http://linuxmacbookproretina.blogspo...cbook-pro.html

it seems to me grub was doing something that prevent i915 and vgawitcheroo to be used.

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 15" retina (Model 10,1) - how to disable nVidia display adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by ksatta1 View Post
    Great
    BTW let me know if you start experiencing WiFi issues..
    in 13.04, you have the possibility, in restricted drivers to choose the proprietary driver for the wifi chip, instead of using the b43-fwcutter method.

since this method give me unreliable wifi(lots of packet loss among other things) i'm using the proprietary wifi driver atm.
    it work well.
    and about bluetooth,
    i'm using it a lot with my bluetooth headset it work fine too.
    though, i had to add few options in /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf
    like:

Code:
    [General]
    Enable=Socket 
    Disable=Media
    Enable=Source,Sink,Gateway,Control,Socket
    otherwise my headset just wouldn't connect and register as an audio sink, despite being detected and paired successfully.

back on the original topic,
    after few days of use, i can say, so far i915 works well

i have a question though, i blacklisted nouveau and was wondering if i needed to use this as well
    Code:
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    in order to ensure nvidia chip is powered off, or just blacklisting the driver is enough?

Beans

You could check with "sudo powertop". If Nvidia is off it should idle around 13W. If not, it always stays 20+ if I remember correctly. I actually hadn't thought of blacklisting nouveau, once I got it working with the vgaswitcheroo I just left it like that

Hmm.. I'll have to see about those proprietary WiFi drivers. Downloaded daily raring yesterday. Which reminds me, are you using the ...+mac.iso ? The reason I'm asking is that I originally didn't see any difference, so my current install is with xubuntu..iso (xubuntu doesn't have +mac.iso). Anyway I'll now test with standard ubuntu raring ...+mac.iso.

in 13.04, you have the possibility, in restricted drivers to choose the proprietary driver for the wifi chip, instead of using the b43-fwcutter method.

since this method give me unreliable wifi(lots of packet loss among other things) i'm using the proprietary wifi driver atm.
    it work well.
    and about bluetooth,
    i'm using it a lot with my bluetooth headset it work fine too.
    though, i had to add few options in /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf
    like:

Code:
    [General]
    Enable=Socket 
    Disable=Media
    Enable=Source,Sink,Gateway,Control,Socket
    otherwise my headset just wouldn't connect and register as an audio sink, despite being detected and paired successfully.

back on the original topic,
    after few days of use, i can say, so far i915 works well

i have a question though, i blacklisted nouveau and was wondering if i needed to use this as well
    Code:
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    in order to ensure nvidia chip is powered off, or just blacklisting the driver is enough?

Beans

Wow, I think my WiFi finally worked in 13.04.. I already tried the proprietary driver package (bcmwl-kernel-source), but only in 13.04 it apparently supports the MBPr WiFi. Transfer speeds jumped straight to 100MBit/s (from 20MBit/s), and I finally managed to get my test file (ubuntu image) transferred over LAN without problems.

Now I just have to install the latest bcmwl... version to my current 12.10 install

EDIT: yup, just installed the latest raring package from packages.ubuntu.com and seems to work! Now my install is just about perfect.. minor stuff like some icons too small etc. Might try KDE or Cinnamon desktops later, but right now I'm so accustomed to my XFCE desktop
    Last edited by ksatta1; January 22nd, 2013 at 10:13 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ksatta1 View Post
    EDIT: yup, just installed the latest raring package from packages.ubuntu.com and seems to work! Now my install is just about perfect.. minor stuff like some icons too small etc. Might try KDE or Cinnamon desktops later, but right now I'm so accustomed to my XFCE desktop
    nice to hear
    same here btw, ubuntu support for mbpr is getting really good, and i'm using xfce too.
    yesterday i also noticed the media keys for screen brightness finally work.

i have to report "onscreen image remanence" though.
    this is mostly visible on xubuntu blue background on boot/shutdown time.
    maybe it will improve with updated intel driver?

Beans

I just checked what remanence is, and it's different from the flashes I've had. Alhtough I think I also see the remanence in the Xubuntu default wallpaper. I thought it's just that the display doesn't have enough different shades to show it correctly? Don't know.

About the screen flashing I've had (and others apparently too, with the intel driver):
    The screen flashing is just about the strangest computer problem I've encountered in my whole life maybe (EDIT: when using Linux, Windows is a whole different story..)

I could swear lately it usually seems to start flashing when I put my macbook down on this chair I have, when I lift it up to my lap it stops flashing. It could be some faulty connection or something, but others have reported it too, with the intel driver.

It looks like it might write to the wrong vid. mem. address, so that the image flashes lower than it should be or something. So then that would explain it and it's a software issue.

i have to report "onscreen image remanence" though.
    this is mostly visible on xubuntu blue background on boot/shutdown time.
    maybe it will improve with updated intel driver?

Beans

Hey guys, any advice on getting IGD active not running OSX (which I also deleted right in the beginning)?
    Also it seems that installing nvidia builds a new initrd preventing one from seeing the vgaswitchero stuff.
    Anyway, I happen to have some kernel and initrd laying around where I'm able to see it. When doing an "echo IGD >>vgaswitchero/switch" I just end up having a black screen, still beeing able to do a blind reboot.
    What is your xorg.conf looking like when using i915!?
    I also tried the kernel params given in one of the first posts in here.
    I'm running 13.04 kernel 3.0.x, powertop reports 35W at the moment.

TiA
    Last edited by longint; March 2nd, 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Beans

Hey longint,

you do not have osx at hand at all? i, personally, even can't imagine how you live without it:

if i disable the nvidia graphics unit in ubuntu , and i do not enable it before shutdown/reboot/hang, i get corrupted graphics on the next reboot and have to boot osx twice, to make it working again.

has anybody the same problem? how do you guys set the nvidia on again, before reboot or shutdown? i tried, with scripts in rc0.d and rc6.d , but without success.

but, i do not have a xorg.conf at all at the moment....

sincerely,

sauferkel
    Last edited by sauferkel; March 25th, 2013 at 12:16 PM.

Beans

I don't have a xorg.conf in my "intel only"-installation.

I don't remember where I added the echo ON > switcheroo stuff Anyway, does it work if you manually do echo ON before suspend and echo OFF after suspend? If it manually works, then I can search where I added them

EDIT:
    I started a new thread to get nVidia's attention to the GPU switching problems, more info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2129158

EDIT2:
    I looked again and I can't find where I added the echo switcheroo stuff, maybe an update of some package removed them? anyway suspend / resume works ok.
    Last edited by ksatta1; March 25th, 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Beans

so you are suspending with the card disabled ?

same for reboot?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast