Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What happened to Unity

"ctrl+alt+f8" is not working for me.
    Hay,

Some systems have less terminals. Just run through ctrl + alt + {F1 to F12} one of them will take you back to the graphical environment.

Cherz
    Switched away from windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04. Never turned around to look back.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JHawk56 View Post
    was f7 not f8. my bad.

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

I had already tried f9, but it just opened a second console. Then I did some research and tried 'exit' but that didn't work. ctrl-alt-del worked, albeit for a reboot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick_NZ View Post
    I think you'll find 11.10 has reached EoL, meaning there's no longer any support for it.
    11.10 is supported until April 2013.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fdrake View Post
    try to update :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    It worked!
    I spoke too soon. Miraculously, the problem disappeared after simply retrieving the list of available updates and rebooting. Seemed unlikely, but I was not about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Alas, it was not to be. The problem resumed, and even installing all the updates did not help. Thanks, though -- it did solve another problem I was having!

Beans
    Distro

can you post a screen shoot of it. If you cannot find the icon of firefox, do:

ctrl +alt+t >> type "firefox" .
    the screenn shoots are saved into ~/Pictures

blog
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

can you post a screen shoot of it.
    There's really not much to see. Nothing but the default Ubuntu wallpaper. The menu line I mentioned in the first post is no longer there. If I right-click, I get a menu, but I can't grab a screen shot while it is present. The menu reads:

Create New Folder
    Create New Document >
    Organize Desktop by Name
    Keep Aligned
    Paste
    Change Desktop Background

It's intermittent now; I got to the full GUI desktop on an earlier try. I am starting to suspect a hardware problem (motherboard or power supply), since I am also having random boot problems into both Ubuntu and Windows (it's a wubi installation), unwanted resets, and once in a while a problem getting to my alternative Lubuntu desktop (although once I get there, it is complete and functions well). The Ubuntu problem is not a really big issue, since I prefer Lubuntu on this older machine.

I also looked at the fragmentation status of the partition on which wubi is installed, and it was highly fragged. Major parts of the wubi are not movable, so I have a highly fragged OS. That certainly can't be helping. I think I'll try deleting Ubuntu/Lubuntu, defragging, and starting over.

Beans
    Distro

I think I'll try deleting Ubuntu/Lubuntu, defragging, and starting over.
    wecan stay here to conspire for hours trying to find out the reasons. If you have nothing i mportant i suggest you to just reinstall everything. good luck.

blog
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

you can use the console "ctrl +alt+f1"
    to get back into the dekstop env use ""ctrl +alt+f8""
    This install is 11.10, and that didn't work. ctrl+alt+f1 does get me out into a console, but ctrl+alt+f8 does not get me back into the GUI.
    Edit: wait on, I just noticed some posts in the middle here that explain that...

@ the OP. I agree: if you can re-install without losing anything drastic, that is probably the easiest. You might also consider moving on the a proper dual boot if you are using Ubuntu a lot. Wubi is intended for trying out Ubuntu, but not for long term use.
    Last edited by audiomick; December 28th, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
    Michael

Beans

wecan stay here to conspire for hours trying to find out the reasons. If you have nothing i mportant i suggest you to just reinstall everything. good luck.
    I agree. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    You might also consider moving on the a proper dual boot if you are using Ubuntu a lot. Wubi is intended for trying out Ubuntu, but not for long term use.
    I can't burn DVDs or boot from a flash drive, so I've been using wubi. Once I have a distro and version that I like for my setup, I'll find a way around that and go with a normal dual-boot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast