Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backup Solution & Crashplan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Backup Solution & Crashplan

Quote Originally Posted by donniezazen View Post
    $125 sounds a little expensive. It will take many weeks to upload my data. I have currently removed my video folder, so, that should help. Also Comcast has currently suspended their 250GB data cap so that is also helpful.
    Lucky one. I have a 250GB cap now, and that includes both uploads and downloads.

My upload speed is around 1.5Mbps, and if I want to upload 500GB at that speed it will take about a month. That would also eat up my upstream bandwidth.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

merged

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    merged
    Thanks.

EDIT:
    That is how I have set it up. I have it installed on my Ubuntu 12.10 laptop and Ubuntu 12.04 Server. Basically, I have one local copy on my Ubuntu Server and one offsite backup on CrashPlan's Servers.
    I just set it up exactly the same way and it looks pretty sweet. I particularly like that you can exclude items via path and using regex if you so desire.
    Last edited by CharlesA; December 26th, 2012 at 11:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

So, since my original thread got merged into this one for some reason, I was wondering if anyone here wants to take me up on my offer to start a CrashPlan users backup club.

Send me a private message if you are serious about getting started with me. I'll host your data up to 1 TB if you'll host my data which is currently at almost 894 GB.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If you have less than 100 GB of data, then I will host it for free. You are not obligated to host all of my data at all. I realize doing so would be unfair to you so you should feel free to contact me in private if you are interested.

I'm really serious about this. I want to make friends here and I want another safe and secure destination to host my data off-site for free.

I have 8.34 TB of total storage capacity. Most of my drives are external storage devices that use Super Speed USB 3.0 technology. I can still add another external hard disk drive at any time to gain a couple extra gigabytes of high speed USB 3.0 storage capacity.

Your data is going to be highly secure and it will be safe using peer to peer backup.

CrashPlan sent me this link to help with peer to peer data backups:

http://support.crashplan.com/doku.ph...ork_connection

Please make sure you read this official CrashPlan support article if you are having problems with peer to peer data backups using CrashPlan+.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How long have you been using CrashPlan? It works great overall but this initial seeding does suck. Thanks for suggesting hard drive option.
    I think it's been almost two years now. It honestly took over six months for the initial seed (for multiple computers, granted).

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Which plan are you using? I've been debating an offsite backup and this seems to be a whole lot easier than storing an external hard drive off site.
    I'm using the unlimited family plan.
    The latter might be more secure, as the drive is offline and is encrypted but still..
    Well, Crashplan isn't offline, but it is encrypted:
    http://support.crashplan.com/doku.ph...ncrashplan_use

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I think it's been almost two years now. It honestly took over six months for the initial seed (for multiple computers, granted).
    I believe it. I did some calculations and it will take a few months to upload all my data due to my bandwidth cap, but if you do the essential data first that isn't so bad.

I'm using the unlimited family plan.
    Awesome, thanks. I'm thinking of going with a single computer plan cuz I already back all the other machines up to my home server and so far it's been working ok.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Out of curiosity, has anyone restored their files with crashplan? I backed up my /home (over 200 GB) to an Amahi Home Server on my network. Then, I installed Lubuntu 12.10 and proceeded to restore the files. I got a kernel panic. This happened multiple times, so I installed Lubuntu 12.04 via the alternate CD (thinking it was a bad installation), and had the same problems.

I've even installed Fedora 18, and had the kernel panic when I tried to restore my files. java is what causes the panic (at least on Fedora).

Any suggestions on what to do to get things restored without the kernel panic's are greatly appreciated.

Have a great day
    Patrick.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Restores have worked fine for me. Have you contacted CrashPlan support about the kernel panic?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12