Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's next for system76?

Beans

Question What's next for system76?

Hey there,

I'm looking to buy a Ubuntu loaded laptop. Through my internet research I have decided to go with system76.

I am a medical student and am looking for a portable laptop for my room and class. Currently, the most portable option is the lemur ultra. While the laptop seems to have a great build quality, I was wondering if the next generation of system76 models will be coming out soon?

So what's next for system76? Will they be coming out with an ultra book model? How about improving battery life and screen resolution?

I don't want to purchase the lemur ultra if they next generation of laptop models will be coming out in a few months.

Thanks for the help and happy holidays!

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What's next for system76?

Quote Originally Posted by drmank View Post
    Hey there,

I'm looking to buy a Ubuntu loaded laptop. Through my internet research I have decided to go with system76.

I am a medical student and am looking for a portable laptop for my room and class. Currently, the most portable option is the lemur ultra. While the laptop seems to have a great build quality, I was wondering if the next generation of system76 models will be coming out soon?

So what's next for system76? Will they be coming out with an ultra book model? How about improving battery life and screen resolution?

I don't want to purchase the lemur ultra if they next generation of laptop models will be coming out in a few months.

Thanks for the help and happy holidays!

Mike
    We generally release around April (Right around the time Intel upgrades their lineups). That said, the Lemur is a great system, with tons of power for the price in a pretty portable package that can arrive in less than four months!
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Question Re: What's next for system76?

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    We generally release around April (Right around the time Intel upgrades their lineups). That said, the Lemur is a great system, with tons of power for the price in a pretty portable package that can arrive in less than four months!
    Any hint as to what features the new Lemur will have?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I think he's referring to the current Lemur. I've had one for about a month and highly recommend it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Not sure what features you are looking for? But in general, the processor upgrade will most likely have little impact on your current computing. And RAM is not going to increase drastically...

So go with the tried and true, the current Lemur-hardware with Ubuntu 12.04LTS.

And by the time the next LTS comes around, maybe hardware will have advanced enough for a new Lemur

Beans

Lightbulb Re: What's next for system76?

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    Not sure what features you are looking for? But in general, the processor upgrade will most likely have little impact on your current computing. And RAM is not going to increase drastically...

So go with the tried and true, the current Lemur-hardware with Ubuntu 12.04LTS.

And by the time the next LTS comes around, maybe hardware will have advanced enough for a new Lemur
    I'm looking for a slimmer profile and higher screen resolution

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I agree with the desire to see a higher resolution; I think 1366x768 resolution finally needs to be retired... like 640x480 and 800x600 and 1024x768 have been.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm looking for a slimmer profile and higher screen resolution
    Ok, ok, I am with you on that

I wish the Lemur Ultra was a true ultra without the DVD drive - thinner, and higher screen resolution would be nice.

I am not sure about screen size, I like the space of a larger screen, but want portability. Though I am leaning toward a 13" screen, for me, I think that would work well.

Beans

I am also considering System76 for my next laptop and am hoping screen resolution goes up by then.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thnewguy View Post
    I am also considering System76 for my next laptop and am hoping screen resolution goes up by then.
    As am I. I will probably hold off until mid-year. That's likely to be how long it takes me to save enough money for it anyway.

But bigger screen resolution (maybe at least around the 1400*1050 mark?) with a smaller screen size (say 12 inches) would be a big plus! That's pretty much what my old 2004 Toshiba Portege M200 had from memory. And that was 2004.

And nobody uses internal optical drives any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast