Thread: Looking for Graphic driver help

Beans

Looking for Graphic driver help

Hello, im new to this forum and pretty green as far as Ubuntu goes. I loaded a 12.1 unto an old deskptop i dusted off in the basement for a little fun when i have time. Mainly for multi media. Everything installed fine.
    However, my system was running Really slow. I thought it was the memory. after checking requirements, i determined I was fine. then i realized that my Graphics driver showed it was "unknown". That led me to multiple web searches with no results.
    if i could get some guidance on how I can find out my specific graphics model, where to find a driver for it and how to install it I would be greatly appreciative.
    Here are my computer specs:

Dell Dimension E310-dv051
    993.3 MiB
    Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GH x 2
    graphics-unknown

If I have missed this thread elsewhere I apologize in advance and would love a link to the solved thread.

Thank You.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Looking for Graphic driver help

To find the model of your graphics card open a terminal and paste the following command:
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Post the results back here.

(Don't worry about System Settings calling your graphics unknown, that happens even when the drivers are installed correctly).
    Cheesemill

Beans

nice, is there a glossary of terminal commands one could reference for these simple tasks?

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)

So does this simply tell me the type of VGA or does this prove that it is in fact operating as normal? I do not understand how the newest version of ubuntu can run so slow.?! it has to be something. if fixing the graphics doesnt do it im tempted to go back to 11 or 10 just so it functions at a tolerable speed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The correct driver for your Intel graphics is already installed and working as it should (it comes already built in to the system).

Your RAM is on the low side for running Ubuntu 12.10, you may want to consider installing Xubuntu or Lubuntu 12.04 instead as these are tailored for lower spec machines.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Or, I could throw in a new 4 gb chip in right? Would that be enuf? Or would it be better to go for 8 gb? I have 2 slots I believe. I originally threw in a new 512 gb a long time ago, plus the orig 256. Is there a terminal command to see what type of chip i need to buy. Ddr dimm, or just get a desktop chip? Just so I get the right kind? I honestly would rather spend $40 to upgrade the ram to prolong its life.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Looking for Graphic driver help

Quote Originally Posted by ilovepie View Post
    nice, is there a glossary of terminal commands one could reference for these simple tasks?
    I like the Unix Toolbox.
    http://cb.vu/unixtoolbox.xhtml

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Looking for Graphic driver help

Or, I could throw in a new 4 gb chip in right? Would that be enuf? Or would it be better to go for 8 gb? I have 2 slots I believe. I originally threw in a new 512 gb a long time ago, plus the orig 256. Is there a terminal command to see what type of chip i need to buy. Ddr dimm, or just get a desktop chip? Just so I get the right kind? I honestly would rather spend $40 to upgrade the ram to prolong its life.
    According to OK Memory, your computer won't support that.

http://www.okmemory.com/Dell-Dimensi...50-memory.html

Maximum memory is 2GB, and each slot can only hold a 1GB stick.

Beans

OK so I have a few options.
    1. Install xUbuntu, or lubuntu
    2. Could I go back to 10 or 11 ?
    3. Upgrade to two 1 gb sticks. Would 2 gb be enuf to run 12.1 effectively?
    4. Is there a fourth?

I don't know anything about Xubuntu or Lubuntu. What's the diff? Benies? Downfalls?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

OK so I have a few options.
    1. Install xUbuntu, or lubuntu
    2. Could I go back to 10 or 11 ?
    3. Upgrade to two 1 gb sticks. Would 2 gb be enuf to run 12.1 effectively?
    4. Is there a fourth?

I don't know anything about Xubuntu or Lubuntu. What's the diff? Benies? Downfalls?
    I think option 3 is your best bet, I have an older Laptop with 2 GB and it runs very fast with 12.10 installed. If you upgrade the ram now you will get quite a few more years out of that computer running Ubuntu.

Beans

Thanks to everyone for their help. im going to try upgrading the RAM first to see if that helps. If not i can always go to a different version or just buy a new tower that is beefier.