Thread: whitelisting in Ubuntu CE

Beans
    Hidden!

whitelisting in Ubuntu CE

I like the look! I've been doing some trials of various flavors of Linux in an attempt to build a web station that can be (fairly) unsupervised in a church library. I am thinking it might be preferable to whitelist web sites rather than blacklist. That evidently can be done in Dansguardian filter and Privoxy proxy but it looks pretty painful.

If someone smarter than me could write a HOWTO that a Noob could understand to get whitelisting, it would be much appreciated!

Best wishes.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: whitelisting in Ubuntu CE

I don't know about Dansguardian, but why do you think whitelisting via Privoxy would be difficult? From what I read casually, it's just a matter of having a trust file (/etc/privoxy/trust) and editing /etc/privoxy/config appropriately. I don't know if Privoxy's trust file will apply to https sites. A lot of Privoxy actions don't apply to https sites.

But, as always, it depends on how savvy the "opposition" is One example is with Firefox. In Preferences, Advanced, Network, any user can simply choose not to have Privoxy as a proxy server. Game over. Unless you take measures to prevent users accessing their profiles. I don't know whether stability will then be affected.

With Chrome, the user can just start Chrome from a terminal with the --no-proxy-server switch.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Hidden!

I am going to mess about with all this further and if I get something that can be reproduced with some ease I will post it.

I am building an OPAC station (library card catalog) in a church. There are many discussions of this online, many involving complex interventions like recompiling ISO disks. If I can get it done on Ubuntu then the librarians can log on and use OpenOffice. I plan to create an autologon user with very limited options.

We got plenty of kids roaming about who could probably figure out how to run terminal ... this is the challenge.

Best wishes.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

This was for Ubuntu 10.04, so I don't know if anything has changed. Also, I admit to not trying this myself.

For complete control over the web sites a particular computer can see, you can...
    Easily BLOCK access to EVERYTHING on the Web EXCEPT what YOU say
    Warning: this is a drastic measure and can be painful to change/update

1. Find the IP addresses of the sites you want to access.
    Easiest way is through this site http://ip-lookup.net/domain.php

2. Copy the IP address, the domain name and the domain name with "www" in front of it into a text file, then...

3. Go to Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal
    and type (or copy and paste): sudo gedit /etc/hosts[Enter] or [return]

4. Add one line for each of the sites you want the computer to be able to access
    Example:
    12.10.241.10 comeashelter.org www.comeashelter.org
    64.71.40.27 cheyennehealth.org www.cheyennehealth.org
    208.90.190.159 cheyennecity.org www.cheyennecity.org
    137.87.0.106 lccc.wy.edu www.lccc.wy.edu
    Save the file, and "X" out of it

5. Type (or copy and paste): sudo gedit /etc/nsswitch.conf[Enter] or [return]
    find the line that looks like this
    hosts: files dns
    and change it to this
    hosts: files
    Save the file, and "X" out of it

Close and reopen the browser and the computer will be cut off from EVERYTHING on the internet except for the sites you have listed in step 4.

Note: if using Leafpad instead of Gedit, simply replace the word gedit with the word leafpad.
    "Freely you have received, freely give" Matthew 10:8

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Charles-2007 View Post
    I like the look! I've been doing some trials of various flavors of Linux in an attempt to build a web station that can be (fairly) unsupervised in a church library. I am thinking it might be preferable to whitelist web sites rather than blacklist. That evidently can be done in Dansguardian filter and Privoxy proxy but it looks pretty painful.

If someone smarter than me could write a HOWTO that a Noob could understand to get whitelisting, it would be much appreciated!

Best wishes.
    If it's a web based kiosk setup you have in mind then look at Webconverger and use it in conjuction with a web based blocking service such as OpenDNS.