Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brother MFC-J835DW Printer Install

Beans

Brother MFC-J835DW Printer Install

Okay so I admit I'm not smart enough to figure out what version of the install files to download so I can install my printer.

What I do know:
    • The printer is recognized by the OS, but can't find the drivers.
    • The OS is asking for either a PPD file, but when going to the brother solution center I don't see that extension but do see rpm or deb formats. Trying to download either of those the installation program doesn't recognize them.
    • http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...tml#MFC-J835DW
    • I'm using 12.10

What I don't know:
    • How to install the files using terminal if that's required.
    • What versions of the installation files to use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Brother MFC-J835DW Printer Install

I have an MFC-7840W working on my Ubuntu print server, but unfortunately for you, a PPD was available from Brother. I don't see one for your printer.

However, Brother has a walk through on how to use their DEB packages to install a Brother printer on Linux.
    http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...ion_prn1a.html

Let us know if you get stuck.

Kirk

Beans

Re: Brother MFC-J835DW Printer Install

Sorry for the long pause in reply.

I got to the part where I am to modify the printer settings (have the printer on wireless). I'm being asked for a User Name and Password, and there wasn't one on the instructions page.

I'm on This page step 5b-2.
    Last edited by idcrewdawg; January 7th, 2013 at 02:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Brother MFC-J835DW Printer Install

Quote Originally Posted by idcrewdawg View Post
    Sorry for the long pause in reply.
    Not a problem.

I got to the part where I am to modify the printer settings (have the printer on wireless). I'm being asked for a User Name and Password, and there wasn't one on the instructions page.

I'm on This page step 5b-2.
    Of course there isn't one in the instructios... it's probably asking for your user's password for administrative access to your coputer...

Beans

I tried my network username and password, as well as the name for my computer, and administrator password. Neither of these were correct.

I've attached a screen shot of the login window.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

What I did for use the Brother MFC-J835DW under Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64 bits

Last edited by greenchiliishot; September 1st, 2013 at 06:12 PM.

Beans

Not yet, and I stopped trying. I got the drivers to load well enough to allow printing, but wireless printing doesn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not yet, and I stopped trying. I got the drivers to load well enough to allow printing, but wireless printing doesn't work.
    My experience with Brother wireless printing is that it only requires changing the device URI. I do it via the app "system-config-printer (gnome?). This is installed by default in Xubuntu & Lubuntu and can be installed from repository on Ubuntu & gnome-shell. The default printer app borders on useless IMO. I created a desktop launcher but it can be invoked from a 'run'(alt-F2) box or terminal. I changed the I.P. address of the printer to static then change the device URI to
    Code:
    socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100
    where x=the printer's I.P. address. This has worked quite reliably for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    My experience with Brother wireless printing is that it only requires changing the device URI. I do it via the app "system-config-printer (gnome?). This is installed by default in Xubuntu & Lubuntu and can be installed from repository on Ubuntu & gnome-shell. The default printer app borders on useless IMO. I created a desktop launcher but it can be invoked from a 'run'(alt-F2) box or terminal. I changed the I.P. address of the printer to static then change the device URI to
    Code:
    socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100
    where x=the printer's I.P. address. This has worked quite reliably for me.
    The printer IP is currently all 0's, and I changed it to that, but there was no success. In the print que status page it indicates the printer isn't connected. printer status.jpg

I've got several machines on the network, and the one that is windows will print to the printer wirelessly, so it's not connectivity. Just some kind of setting somewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The printer IP is currently all 0's, and I changed it to that, but there was no success. In the print que status page it indicates the printer isn't connected. printer status.jpg

I've got several machines on the network, and the one that is windows will print to the printer wirelessly, so it's not connectivity. Just some kind of setting somewhere.
    All zeros? I'm not surprised it doesn't work. If your router's I.P. address is for example 192.168.1.1 (a common one), The printer should be something like 192.168.1.xxx for my method to work. The reason for the static I.P. is I'm telling the printer driver to send data to a certain address. If that address changed via DHCP, it'd be like moving without letting the post office know. Mail would go to your last know address even if you're no longer there. There are numerous other network connections that don't require a fixed printer address, mine has worked for years and I'm not inclined to change what works without good reason . Here's what my 'system-config-printer' shows-

Screenshot from 2013-09-01 17:08:33.png
    Last edited by kurt18947; September 1st, 2013 at 10:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast