Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will ubuntu work as a sole os?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Will ubuntu work as a sole os?

I have used Ubuntu for a little over 5 years now, and as sole OS for about a year and a half. (on my laptop, and now on my desktop as well)

and I would say that if you have no need of any windows only software, or if that windows only software works "platinum" in wine, then go for Ubuntu only.

Dualbooting is IMO only a temporary solution, as i find having everything on my computer split up to be a pain.

Ubuntu is generally a much better user experience (again, in my opinion) and when my Desktop cmputer ran windows 7 i still preferred using my laptop, because it was simply a better platform to use, windows generally being too slow at starting and running. it felt like my laptop was a much much better piece of hardware. So i'd say; consider if you need windows for anything, if not, then go for ubuntu, it will make you much happier than windows can. (all based on my own opinion and experience ofc)

good luck
    "We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds." -Linus Thorvalds
    "I our department, we can do anything! ... There's a timeframe? in that case, nevermind my previous statement." - My Colleague

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

System type: 64 bit operating system (assuming this is the current windows install) windows 7.
    Depending on how new, this machine might be running windows 8.

In which case you might need to check and see if it has secure boot, and whether or not it has been enabled.

Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit can load in secure boot, but other distros can't.

Anyway, +nth for dual-booting.
    If your just going to wipe the disk and install Ubuntu, you might as well grab some money and start burning it.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

One question is that nobody asked.

Why are you doing this for him? Did he ask for something different than windows?
    As dual is the way to go but why? Is this something you feel strongly about or him?

If he doesn't need or want it then you could be wasting time & resources setting it up and all. And then he doesn't care for it.

But dual boot is the only fair way to approach it. And let him decide over time using.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

The thing to check is the graphic card. If you have a Nvidia card then chances are you have Optimus, in that case it will be a bit tricky. Otherwise there should be no problem (also check the wireless) When I got a new laptop I just wipe Windows (can't stand even looking at it) and either have just Ubuntu or dual/triple boot with other Linux distros. But that is just me. I used to need only one Windows software and virtual box takes care of it. Now I don't even need that anymore as we have switched to something cross platform.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; December 25th, 2012 at 06:47 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    One question is that nobody asked.

Why are you doing this for him? Did he ask for something different than windows?
    As dual is the way to go but why? Is this something you feel strongly about or him?

If he doesn't need or want it then you could be wasting time & resources setting it up and all. And then he doesn't care for it.

But dual boot is the only fair way to approach it. And let him decide over time using.
    +1 to this post!

Beans

We already use ubuntu as sole o/s on our main pc and our other laptop. My reason for asking was the 64 bit info and the build of the machine. My son prefers ubuntu to windows (as do the rest of us) and since his ipod is no longer supported he has no use for windows for any stand alone software issues.

I think i'll check the graphic card but i'm sure my laptop is running nvidia without any issues.

Thanks for all the advice.

The graphics card is Intel HD graphics card (no model or anything else to identify it)
    Last edited by bobipod; December 25th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bobipod View Post
    We already use ubuntu as sole o/s on our main pc and our other laptop. My reason for asking was the 64 bit info and the build of the machine. My son prefers ubuntu to windows (as do the rest of us) and since his ipod is no longer supported he has no use for windows for any stand alone software issues.

I think i'll check the graphic card but i'm sure my laptop is running nvidia without any issues.

The graphics card is Intel HD graphics card (no model or anything else to identify it)
    Ahhh Ok that clears it up then. And if all are comfortable with not needing a dual boot setup. Then all the better.

Hope everything goes smoothly and not too much a hassle that laptops can be getting everything working right.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bobipod View Post

I recant my previous post. Based on your previous posted specs, and the Intel card, I would expect, that a 64-bit install would work fine.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; December 25th, 2012 at 10:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12