Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What exactly is a router?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What exactly is a router?

991 views so far, this is obviously an interesting topic for a lot of people, including me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

This is something you might have not thought of, but the computer with the modem you are trying to share will have to be powered on for it to 'route' your other computers to the internet. You power down that computer with the modem, your connection to the internet goes down. Unless you have a dedicated just for dialing up and routing to the internet.
    Just as a friendly reminder.

Wow...this is a throwback to the dial-up days. ::Shudders:: I don't wanna go back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by diskmaster23 View Post
    This is something you might have not thought of, but the computer with the modem you are trying to share will have to be powered on for it to 'route' your other computers to the internet.

Wow...this is a throwback to the dial-up days. ::Shudders:: I don't wanna go back.
    Yes I'm keeping the Linux "router" on all the time.

What confused me about the "router" was that none of the HOWTOs that I read ever stated (clearly) that a router can be either a dedicated device (picture required) or a Linux box configured to do NAT (and DHCP).

So when I did searches for router, it showed me pictures of devices that look nothing like a Linux box or any computer.

I'm at my relatives place where there is barely telephone connections, so dialup is all we have. I can barely get any connection above 26k on this 56k modem.

I just realized how much bandwidth some "bloated" sites require, they're probably making ISPs and engineers who want to design higher capacity connections a lot of money. Some web pages transfers up to 10M-BYTES of data PER WEBPAGE. (what a waste)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeVixen View Post
    Yes I'm keeping the Linux "router" on all the time.

What confused me about the "router" was that none of the HOWTOs that I read ever stated (clearly) that a router can be either a dedicated device (picture required) or a Linux box configured to do NAT (and DHCP).

So when I did searches for router, it showed me pictures of devices that look nothing like a Linux box or any computer.

I'm at my relatives place where there is barely telephone connections, so dialup is all we have. I can barely get any connection above 26k on this 56k modem.

I just realized how much bandwidth some "bloated" sites require, they're probably making ISPs and engineers who want to design higher capacity connections a lot of money. Some web pages transfers up to 10M-BYTES of data PER WEBPAGE. (what a waste)
    a "router" can be a dedicated device (the Internet runs on the back of dedicated routers, they can also be a typical looking computer running either Linux or Windows whose software is configured to be a router.

DHCP, DNS or any other service or anything else is not a function of a router, they are just additional services which routers can provide such as the home based "routers" which often also have a modem, a DNS service, a DHCP service, NAT etc etc.

In one sentence A router routes TCP/IP packets from source to destination, any other service is an addition to it.

Peace
    Last edited by haqking; December 27th, 2012 at 12:54 AM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro

I think the key clarification point that needs to be cleared up is that a router can be either a computer (running Linux, Windows, etc) or an integrated device (a "router").

Because if you do a search for "routers" online you don't get pics of computers running Linux or whatever but rather small integrated devices called "routers".

Where as the LAN routing HOWTOs refer to computers running Linux as "routers".

So now I learned a router can refer to either one of those.

Beans
    Distro

Interesting Topic +1

I think the key clarification point that needs to be cleared up is that a router can be either a computer (running Linux, Windows, etc) or an integrated device (a "router").
    You are correct OV. A router can be a PC with Linux installed, a Windows Server with the correct services installed or a dedicated piece of hardware, Cisco XR 12410.

--
    Zu
    Last edited by ZippyUbu; December 28th, 2012 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Input Cisco series instead of actual Router ;-)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This might interest some folks:

How to build a router based on Linux

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    This might interest some folks:

How to build a router based on Linux
    Interesting

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Once you have this set up and running, you may find that connection speed drops to a crawl when all three machines are trying to address the web at the same time. Your 28K bits/sec will drop to 28K/3 or approximately 9.3K bits/sec per computer; dialup has 10 bits per byte, so you can expect about 930 bytes/sec of data transfer. That 10-MB web page will take about 1000 seconds, or almost 20 minutes, to load!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by JKyleOKC View Post
    Once you have this set up and running, you may find that connection speed drops to a crawl when all three machines are trying to address the web at the same time. Your 28K bits/sec will drop to 28K/3 or approximately 9.3K bits/sec per computer; dialup has 10 bits per byte, so you can expect about 930 bytes/sec of data transfer. That 10-MB web page will take about 1000 seconds, or almost 20 minutes, to load!
    Thanks for the input, actually i was looking at my neighbors router,and i
    wonder ,why bother using a computer when you can have a dedicated router device for a lot less money ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast