Thread: Wireless Connection and Booting Issues after installing Ubuntu in Dell Inspiron 14

Beans

Exclamation Wireless Connection and Booting Issues after installing Ubuntu in Dell Inspiron 14

Hey guys, I've just got a new Dell Inspiron I14-2530p with native Windows 8, and decided to install Ubuntu for a dual boot.

I had to change the bios settings to Legacy instead of UEFI Secure Boot (I don't know very well what that means, but was the only way I found to boot from the CD-ROM). I've used an old live CD I had for Ubuntu 9.10.

The booting went fine, and so did the installation. At the end of it, I clicked the button to restart the computer, but it took too long, and I had to turn it off. After I turned it back on, no GRUB menu was displayed, but I've got that worked out already. Still, no Windows 8 option to boot appears. I wondered if i had the Windows partition formatted, but I can still access all of the Windows files, so the system is there, I just can't reach it.

Also, Ubuntu won't recognize my wireless chip. I try to turn it on via keyboard, but it doesn't work. No networks are available to connect either, even though I could connect to it via Windows.

Now I've managed to upgrade my Ubuntu to 10.04 LTS via wired network. But wireless still won't work, and Windows still won't show up on GRUB's menu.

I've searched around, but no topics seemed to solve the problem for my specific hardware and Windows version.

If anyone has any idea how to solve either issue, I'd be very grateful. I'm starting to freak out on how I screwed my xmas gift up ><

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wireless Connection and Booting Issues after installing Ubuntu in Dell Inspiron 1

go to your system settings , under the hardware tab u will find additional drivers, click on it and see it your wireless driver is listed and activated.

for solving your windows issue pls post the output of "sudo fdisk -l" by running it in your terminal. hit ctrl+alt+t to fire up your terminal.

Beans

Re: Wireless Connection and Booting Issues after installing Ubuntu in Dell Inspiron 1

Quote Originally Posted by adityamagadi View Post
    go to your system settings , under the hardware tab u will find additional drivers, click on it and see it your wireless driver is listed and activated.

for solving your windows issue pls post the output of "sudo fdisk -l" by running it in your terminal. hit ctrl+alt+t to fire up your terminal.
    I went to System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers (the closest thing I found to system settings o-o), and there were no drivers listed. Is that right?

Here's the output from terminal

=== fdisk -l ===
    WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda' ! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 121602 976762583+ ee GPT

=======

PS: I'm thinking about upgrading from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS. Would that solve anything, or be good at all?

Beans

Hey, I updated from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS and the wireless got back working. But Windows still won't show up on grub =/. I'm guessing by the output of the command above, that grub is not recognizing the partitions within sda.
    Last edited by urielo; December 25th, 2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: mispelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you are correct there is no other partition on your harddrive... what steps did follow to install ubuntu? did you use wubi installer? or you created the partions yourself?

Beans

I used wubi and followed the instructions from the live cd. It's weird because i can access the other partitions from Ubuntu after the startup. I have to find a way to make grub see them too before boot. Does this have anything to do with UEFI? or Windows 8?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

no the UEFI issue has been resolved with 12.04.
    as a last try,try this open your terminal and do this : "sudo update-grub".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

and did you change back your bios settings to UEFI after installing ubuntu?

Beans

no the UEFI issue has been resolved with 12.04.
    as a last try,try this open your terminal and do this : "sudo update-grub".
    I've tried it over and over. This the output of the last time (4s ago):
    ==========
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-35-generic-pae
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-35-generic-pae
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-35-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-35-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-45-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-45-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    /etc/grub.d/50_windows: 1: /etc/grub.d/50_windows: menuentry: not found
    insmod: can't read 'part_gpt': No such file or directory
    insmod: can't read 'chain': No such file or directory
    /etc/grub.d/50_windows: 5: /etc/grub.d/50_windows: chainloader: not found
    /etc/grub.d/50_windows: 6: /etc/grub.d/50_windows: Syntax error: "}" unexpected
    =====================

before you ask, I followed this tutorial here http://www.timmeredith.com/tutorials/windows-8-grub.php
    so now i have a file at /etc/grub.d/ named 50_windows with the following code:

Code:
    menuentry "Windows 8" {
    	insmod part_gpt
    	insmod chain
    	set root='(hd0,gpt1)'
    	chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
    it seems that such code is not really good, but if fixed it could insert the option in grub's list

Beans

and did you change back your bios settings to UEFI after installing ubuntu?
    no, it's still legacy. should i?

EDIT:
    so, i've tried to set it back to UEFI Secured Boot, but i didn't recognize my hard drive, and didn't boot neither Ubuntu nor Windows. Then I changed it to UEFI Unsecured Boot (with Legacy ROM options, as it said) and it showed grub again. But still no Windows options
    Last edited by urielo; December 26th, 2012 at 07:42 PM.