Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to delete ubuntu?

Beans

Re: How to delete ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    Beware if you have a Dual boot with Windows above direction will lead to problems only follow if Ubuntu is only OS on system
    Hi SuperFreak,
    please let me know how to delete ubuntu from dual boot system? i have windows7 and ubuntu 12.04
    I found some info by googling..but not clear with that.

Beans

By secure delete, I mean that it is possible that files could be recovered by someone later. Thne way to avoid this is through overwriting the files you delete. That is why I suggested Darik Boot and Nuke
    I would recommend it if you have any sensitive information on your hard drive such as financial records
    ok, tnx, is there any guide or tutorial how to do that?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by srikanthganta View Post
    Hi SuperFreak,
    please let me know how to delete ubuntu from dual boot system? i have windows7 and ubuntu 12.04
    I found some info by googling..but not clear with that.
    Please start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Follow the earlier advice and load the LiveCD of Ubuntu and open gparted.
    From there click on Devices and then Create Partition Table. This will mark the drive to be reset when the operation is applied.
    Since you want to re-order your partition scheme, open partition and click new.
    From there it should be fairly simple, remembering that the windows partition should be ntfs, and the linux drives can be ext4, or several other types.(ext4 recommended if you're reinstalling Ubuntu after the win7 install)
    When you feel that you've set the system as you'd like it, click on the edit and click apply all operations.
    So in order:
    1)boot the live disk
    2)open gparted
    3)click on Devices and select create partition table
    4)click on Partition and select new(select this for each per partition made)
    5)make your partition scheme(if making an Ubuntu partition, suggest you save anywhere from 500MB to 6GB for swap)
    6)apply all operations.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@Mijuca I would suggest you go to the link I provided and have a look at the instructions there. You are basically going to burn a copy of Darik Boot and Nuke, boot to that disk and then follow the instructions on your screen. I'm sorry I can't give you a more detailed descrition
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mijuca View Post
    ok, tnx, is there any guide or tutorial how to do that?
    I ran across these links that might be of help to you.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/16260...all-windows-xp

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/nongeek...oting-machine/

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...please-544966/

Read them and see if they are of use to you.

GB
    Debian Testing and Debian Stable
    Hp Pavilion a1440n,GeForce 7300LE,2.0GB mem,250GB HD. Asus A53S Laptop running MX-18
    Ubuntu user Number:#31469, Linux Registered number:511570

Beans
    Hidden!

Seeing as the user is going to be re-partioning and installing Windows as well as Ubuntu after he wipes Ubuntu from his HDD I don't think the added step of using DBAN is needed. I suggest OP simply follows deadflowr's instructions above.

Beans
    Distro

The OP has stated that this not a dual booting computer.
    I have given two suggestions 1) He can delete the Ubuntu partitions from a Live session of Ubuntu through GParted
    2) If he needs a Secure removal of Ubuntu to use Darik Boot and Nuke

Be aware if you use Darik it will take a bit of time to carry out the secure deletion (possibly overnight depending on the size of the hard drive), but once it is started there is no need to do anything but let it finish overwriting files
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans

The OP has stated that this not a dual booting computer.
    I have given two suggestions 1) He can delete the Ubuntu partitions from a Live session of Ubuntu through GParted
    2) If he needs a Secure removal of Ubuntu to use Darik Boot and Nuke

Be aware if you use Darik it will take a bit of time to carry out the secure deletion (possibly overnight depending on the size of the hard drive), but once it is started there is no need to do anything but let it finish overwriting files

While you're talking about that, which is the better of the two? I've heard a lot of both but not in a comparison stand. Just idle curiosity in case I need something like that.
    Debian Testing and Debian Stable
    Hp Pavilion a1440n,GeForce 7300LE,2.0GB mem,250GB HD. Asus A53S Laptop running MX-18
    Ubuntu user Number:#31469, Linux Registered number:511570

Beans
    Distro

@Georgia boy just to repeat the 2nd method with Darik Boot & Nuke is for a secure delete where there is some concern about sensitive files being recovered later( for example if you sold the computer or hard drive or gave it to charity).

we don't know why the OP wants to uninstall Ubuntu or if there are sensitive files on the disk.
    Last edited by SuperFreak; December 25th, 2012 at 03:50 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast