Thread: How to make Firefox faster on Ubuntu persistent live-USB?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

How to make Firefox faster on Ubuntu persistent live-USB?

Due to admin rights problems at work I ended up deciding to run from my own USB key on the work computer. Its awesome that I can run my own Ubuntu desktop that remembers all my settings and programs installed ect and carry it on a USB stick and boot it on any computer. But I was finding the browser firefox kept jamming all the time on the 2nd day (first day it was less bad for some reason) and I found a great way to speed Firefox at this link https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox_Ramdisk

Basically they suggest 3 ways, I did the easy one:

Method 1: Use RAM-only cache

Firefox can be configured to use only RAM as cache storage. Configuration files, bookmarks, extensions etc. will be written to harddisk/SSD as usual. For this

open about:config in the address bar
    set browser.cache.disk.enable to "false" (double click the line)
    set browser.cache.memory.enable to "true" (double click the line)
    set browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size to the ammount of KB you'd like to spare, to -1 for automatic cache size selection

Main disadvantages of this method are that your tabs won't survive a browser crash, and that you need to configure the settings each user individually. On the other hand on a personal system it probably is the easiest method to implement.
    It makes a huge difference so I decided to share this trick Also wondering if anyone else has tricks to make persistent live-USB Ubuntu faster?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to make Firefox faster on Ubuntu persistent live-USB?

Trivial point but an ad blocker does wonders as well. Adblock Plus for Firefox has an advanced option that is really powerful and I find it very useful for sites I visit often.

And then there as some CSS tricks that may make for a plainer but "lighter" experience:
    Code:
    * {
    -webkit-box-shadow: none !important;
    -webkit-gradient: none !important;
    -webkit-linear-gradient: none !important;
    text-shadow: none !important; 
    -webkit-border-radius: 0 !important; 
    }
    Of course, webkit may need to be replaced by moz depending on the browser.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vasa1; December 24th, 2012 at 07:36 AM.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: How to make Firefox faster on Ubuntu persistent live-USB?

Use SDHC UHS flash drive, and if possible boot form USB 3.0 port with USB3+UHS-compatible card reader. That way Linux will run just like from hard-disk.