Thread: Dell Inspiron 6000 Ubuntu 12.04 way TOO slow

Beans

Dell Inspiron 6000 Ubuntu 12.04 way TOO slow

Hi,

I installed 12.04 on my Dell Inspiron 6000, 1GB RAM, Centrino 1.6GHz, 160 GB HDD

But its incredibly slow! After clicking on Dash Home,I have to wait for more than 30 seconds for the window to appear!

I wonder if my hardware is insufficient for 12.04 or anything else could be wrong with my installation/confirgutaion(but I haven't done any changes after the installation), or should I use any earlier version of Ubuntu?(my usage is mainly browsing internet with wireless internet)

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thank you

Cheers
    Shan

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Dell Inspiron 6000 Ubuntu 12.04 way TOO slow

Try the Classic desktop, see if its any better.

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

And choose at login.

Also could be video driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you have Nvidia or recent ATI graphics, install the driver from the Additional Drivers program.

Otherwise you can install Unity 2d to get a less graphically-intense desktop environment. Switch to it via the cog menu at the login screen.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Depending on which source you read, your system is below or barely meets system requirements for Ubuntu (with Unity). If I am not mistaken, your machine is kind of an old laptop, so don't expect wonders. Ubuntu with Unity can be quite resource intensive, but you might run Xubuntu or Lubuntu. I've been successfully running both on similar hardware.