Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Locking old threads does not make sense

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Locking old threads does not make sense

Favux, thanks, I think you've summarised the discussion well. The one issue with the new thread approach is directing traffic from the old thread to the new. I suppose in future if I want to play within the rules I'll create a new thread and then post a link to the new on the old.

I often find older threads from search engines, and the locking thing has slapped me in the face on more than a few occasions. I agree with the general principle, but I'd suggest members providing genuine input are given greater leeway to influence the decision to close a thread or not, rather than the rules being blindly applied.
    Love & joy - Callum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by chmac View Post
    I often find older threads from search engines, and the locking thing has slapped me in the face on more than a few occasions. I agree with the general principle,
    Actually my suggestion would be to extend the time limit to 18 months, since that is the support length for non-lts releases. That would bring the forum policy in synch with Canonical's release and support cycle.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelli0us View Post
    Some issues/questions are ongoing or remain unresolved, people discover the threads through Google only to find that they are “locked”. You can indeed start a new thread but the original content is no longer there, which obliterates the work of the original contributors.

People come here for the content, not to read the rules. If you offend the content-providers there won’t be much content. If the “rules” offend your customers, get rid of them.
    That forum should have no technical issues in it - at all.

It's for testimonials and experiences, hence the type of thread we get there.

Sorry - but I'd not - if I was looking for support - look much further than the title of any thread at all with titles such as

Begrudgingly going back to Windows.
    Ubuntu 12.10 is crap
    The famous quality drive, just talk?

and just so you know I'm not being one-sided

Ubuntu Works
    Ubuntu forever!

Not going to add much to my knowledge.

I guess we need to ensure that that forum is not searchable somehow.

For the record - I do not now, did not when I was a moderator, did not before I was staff think there could be any sensible reason for anyone to actually need to reply to someone else's experience.

I always did and always will think that forum should be readable only. No replies by anyone ever - and I voted as such.

It's a pointless subforum which adds nothing - I've not seen similar anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Actually my suggestion would be to extend the time limit to 18 months, since that is the support length for non-lts releases. That would bring the forum policy in synch with Canonical's release and support cycle.
    I can see the sense in that.

It could be that if and when we get the much talked about upgrade we can use a plugin to accomplish that - then there would be no reason for any staff to close a 'normal' thread prior to that - that does not mean staff would never close a thread prior to that time however.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelli0us View Post
    I agree, it's censorship. Also, no criticism is allowed, 99% of threads in Ubuntu Testimonials are "locked". Censoring technical content in a technical forum is absurd.
    Freedom of speech is a privilege that we shouldn't take lightly. I don't think that it's asking too much to place support requests in an appropriate section of the forum.

I don't mind taking a look if a discussion in T&E turns into a support request, and, if necessary, moving it to a more appropriate place.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Including your email address in a post can turn it into a spam magnet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A couple of additions to what has already been said.

Often, new members will bump an old thread to the top of the forum with a new question that is only vaguely related to the original post. Some good contributing members will ignore it as with eg 20+ posts it looks like it is being dealt with.

The guidelines clearly state
    You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    I can also see the sense in 18 months.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post

For the record - I do not now, did not when I was a moderator, did not before I was staff think there could be any sensible reason for anyone to actually need to reply to someone else's experience.

I always did and always will think that forum should be readable only. No replies by anyone ever - and I voted as such.
    Well stated, Elfy, +1

Beans

The closing of 'old' threads has been a little over-zealous in my opinion and I believe I am not imagining that this practice seems to be pursued a little more vigorously of late. In response to this and some other observations about life on the Ubuntu Forums I often hear: 'these are the rules you have agreed to', in fact I believe I have seen this already in this very thread. This is fine on one level but I believe most civilised peoples value the right to dissent, and it would be a sad day indeed if this right were trampled even in the very artificial world of these Forums.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    It often seems quite over-moderated. No offense intended, but that's something I've been thinking about a lot lately. Afraid to say anything about it because I don't want to come across wrong and offend anybody and get in trouble.

But, you're right, we agree to the conditions, so we have to abide by the rules and the decisions of the staff.

Still, I generally agree with the OP, and I wish threads didn't have to be locked so often. I understand the reasoning behind it, at least sometimes, but it does seem to make these forums less enjoyable than they could be.

+1 on all counts - including the bit about agreeing to abide by the rules.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Freedom of speech is a privilege that we shouldn't take lightly.
    No.

In general it's a God(s) given right, and the cornerstone of our much cherished 'freedom' (such as it is) in general.

However, under a pre-agreed set of forum rules it could be considered a privilege i suppose, if that forum exercised more restricted 'freedoms' than the society it was born in.

2p's worth.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Hylas de Niall View Post
    No.

In general it's a God(s) given right, and the cornerstone of our much cherished 'freedom' (such as it is) in general.

However, under a pre-agreed set of forum rules it could be considered a privilege i suppose, if that forum exercised more restricted 'freedoms' than the society it was born in.

2p's worth.
    To give a full response to this would bring us into violation of the forum Code of Conduct, i.e. no religion please.

We do have a pre-agreed set of rules here, it's called the Forum Code of Conduct.

Edit: my take on "Freedom of speech" is that without a willingness to listen on the part of the intended audience, said freedom is meaningless.
    Last edited by lisati; December 29th, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Including your email address in a post can turn it into a spam magnet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast