Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Locking old threads does not make sense

Beans

Re: Locking old threads does not make sense

We are talking about threads that have been locked in the support forums not the community Forums.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As has been suggested, the reasons for closing old threads does vary. One of the problems we face is that advice does not always age well: what started as good advice for 7.04 does not necessarily count as good advice for 12.10. For starters, there's a move away from "Gnome Classic" to "Unity".
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.

Beans

When you sign up you agree to the CoC whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant, when you agree to it by signing up you are "agreeing" with it.

Simple really
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    When you sign up you agree to the CoC whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant, when you agree to it by signing up you are "agreeing" with it.

Simple really
    +1, this OP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Old threads and dead threads aren't really the same thing.
    There are old threads which are still on going.
    The mods decided threads without new posts for around a year or so should be considered dead, and we all agreed to that.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chmac View Post
    I've seen lots of blind locking of old threads with the justification that "they're old". This is simply nonsensical.

Case and point, this thread. The instructions are applicable today, useful to people, and there is valuable discussion to be had on the topic. The fact that the thread was "started" some 21 months ago is not important. The thread contains valuable information and contains an unresolved problem. If somebody can find a resolution to that issue, it makes sense to add it to the existing thread rather than separating the content into two threads.

I'm not sure how such forum guidelines are designed, agreed upon, or implemented, but this one simply doesn't make sense, and ought, for the good of the forums as a whole, to be revoked.

</my tuppence worth>
    I agree, it's censorship. Also, no criticism is allowed, 99% of threads in Ubuntu Testimonials are "locked". Censoring technical content in a technical forum is absurd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelli0us View Post
    I agree, it's censorship. Also, no criticism is allowed, 99% of threads in Ubuntu Testimonials are "locked". Censoring technical content in a technical forum is absurd.
    From the header a top of the Ubuntu Testimonials & Experiences
    Here is your opportunity to tell other forum members about your experience of Ubuntu. Please do not use this section for support questions, bug reports, or debate.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelli0us View Post
    The Guidelines for Posting sticky for the T&E forum is there for all to see:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1921679

Which bit of this did you not understand?

In keeping with a vote by the forum membership which followed a discussion about the management of this section of the forum, threads will now be closed one week after the time of the original post.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    The Guidelines for Posting sticky for the T&E forum is there for all to see:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1921679

Which bit of this did you not understand?
    Some issues/questions are ongoing or remain unresolved, people discover the threads through Google only to find that they are “locked”. You can indeed start a new thread but the original content is no longer there, which obliterates the work of the original contributors.

People come here for the content, not to read the rules. If you offend the content-providers there won’t be much content. If the “rules” offend your customers, get rid of them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi chmac,

Perhaps restating the issue at hand would be helpful.

The moderators have a goal of keeping technical content in the forums up to date. To aid in that goal they have a rule of thumb specified in the CoC. If a post hasn't been made to a thread in over a year the thread is considered obsolete and is closed.

Obviously they need a rule like this because they do not have the time to evaluate each case on its merits and if they did they could be accused of arbitrary implementation.

Just as obviously any "rigid" rule like this will fail in corner cases.

You are pointing out such a corner case. Technical information that has remained stable for a year or more. Additionally the information is not of the "popularity" that frequent posts on the topic will be made. That is not to say there won't be plenty of consumers/readers of that information.

The solution under the current CoC is to start a new thread summarizing all of the information you find relevant from the old threads plus any new information you want to add. And point out any unresolved issue or issues. And as Rebelli0us points out try to credit the original contributors, at least link to the old threads. I always try to attribute.

Or better still from the moderators point of view add that information to the community wiki. That way keeping it up to date is no longer their problem. That should be done by wiki contributors.

But moderators please note chmac brings up another valid point. When doing a google search forum threads will often turn up on the first page while community wiki links often don't show up until you've dug at least several pages into the search. So it would be useful to prominently display in the forum examples of how to do a google (or whatever) search to get community wiki content hits to show up in the first page of a search.
    Last edited by Favux; December 26th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast