View Poll Results: What should Linux be ?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like now: Multiple distributions and versions - keep it that way, there's a Distro for anyone.

41 82.00%
  • Focus on only one Linux version, so that single version could become better everyday.

9 18.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Linux really not standard?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is Linux really not standard?

Quote Originally Posted by GameX2 View Post
    Would it be better for Linux to focus on only one version and make that version better and better?
    http://mhall119.com/2011/10/if-linux...aters-edition/

To start off, there are literally hundreds of different kinds of cars, and they’re all different. How do car makers expect a non-expert to be able to select one? Most manufacturers even make different “models” of their car, so it’s not enough to just say you want a Ford, now you have to decide which Ford you want. I don’t know ahead of time whether I’m going to want to move furniture, go off-roading or cruise the Autobahn, why should I have to pick one? Why can’t they just make one car that does everything?
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

would you prefer a wife that cooks only 1 dish, the best way possible, for the rest of your life or one that has discrete kitchen skills able to cook different dishes .
    Last edited by fdrake; December 24th, 2012 at 10:16 AM.

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux is the standard... distributions are with different software sitting on top of the kernel....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Competition is better for everyone. Even if the (positive) results are merged back into one product, competition enables more innovation than monoculture...

If only one OS existed, if people only used 1 type of computer, if developers only used a single language, computing would be awfully boring (and much less useful).

Having a Linux 'standard' isn't as important as everyone pushing the envelope of usability; forking and merging and borrowing and innovating. Having distros like Ubuntu or Fedora and SUSE which are widely supported and used is important, but having distros like Gentoo and Archlinux is equally important.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    I the words of my predecessors "GNU is not Unix". "It is a "Unix like operating system".
    Hence not standard.
    That says it all for me.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Why not both options in your poll? Most effort is focussed into a single main distro aiming for widespread adoption, and lots of smaller niche distros to cater to the niche uses?

Sounds a bit like what we've got now, actually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To start off, there are literally hundreds of different kinds of cars, and they’re all different. How do car makers expect a non-expert to be able to select one? Most manufacturers even make different “models” of their car, so it’s not enough to just say you want a Ford, now you have to decide which Ford you want. I don’t know ahead of time whether I’m going to want to move furniture, go off-roading or cruise the Autobahn, why should I have to pick one? Why can’t they just make one car that does everything?
    That's a really interesting comparison!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

People will continue to develop distributions to meet their own needs and those who share that need might use the distribution.

I'm guessing that there is a lot of overlap because of the sheer number of distributions and people aren't aware that a particular need has been addressed in an existing distribution.

At the same time,I certainly don't want a group of developers deciding what a Linux user needs or to infringe on the ability to experiment with what applications are combined with the latest kernel.
    “ Diversity: The art of thinking independently together ”

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I did not vote for any of the options.

Monopoly is not good, just look at windows. So I do not agree that there should be only one linux.

But it is not good as it is now. The linux community is to fragmented. Fewer choices is a good thing, but not to few.

Just my opinion.

Beans

Define standard. Distros are just collections of software that other people have put work into for the most part. Some may use older versions for stability and others may offer the newest version of everything for people who want/need it. But it's still 99% the same and what works on one can be made to work on another. For example if something cool is done for ubuntu only less than a week later somebody will have made it work on arch. They may differ in certain areas but they are still mostly the same. I would define that as standard.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast